Law School/Medical School Reading Book on Genetics and Jehovah's Witnesses

by Justitia Themis 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

The book is recommended reading in my Bioethics Law class. This is a Law/Medicine class that combines students from the School of Medicine, the School of Public Health, and the School of Law, so a broad cross-section of people will base their opinions of JWs on this book. My fellow students include a working neonatologist, a Japanese Health Department employee, a Chinese gentleman who works for some Chinese gov't agency, a North African lawyer, an Australian international health care worker, an undergrad ethics professor from a different, but local, university, and a social worker who is a fellow at a local pediatric bioethics foundation. The rest of us are JD students or heath law LLMs (JDs who are getting their masters in health law).

The author does a great job of weaving together genetics, Jewish history, and JW culture. In sum, the BRCA.185delAG breast cancer suppression gene is a Jewish gene; if you have it, you have a Jewish ancestor. The story traces the gene from the Spanish Inquisition and Spain's Jewish expulsion (think Christopher Columbus) and to the Hispanos who settled in New Mexico and Colorado. He accomplishes this through the case of a Hispana female with the gene, who develops breast cancer, and whose family had converted to JWs.

The author really gets JW culture. He watched her "windowless" Kingdom Hall wedding video, and noted the very "wooden" ending of ...'so long as live together according to God's marital arrangement....' He mentions the patient's sister who is forgoing kids and pioneering instead because the big A is sooooo close.

He also addresses the penchant for JWs to seek alternative treatments. Sadly, he relates the story of the "German" uncle, who married into the family and sold quilts to get money for her treatment. His wife has the gene, a lump, and needs a biopsy, but since he has a loser job and the wife cleans houses, they don't have the money. The husband rationalizes away not wanting to pay for the biopsy to both his wife and the author by saying they would use natural treatments anyway, so it doesn't matter! The Uncle claims he loved his niece, and that she would always say, "Uncle, I see an elder in you!"

I'm only about 30 pages in, but the author hints that the reason the woman dies is not breast cancer but her treatment refusal. I suspect there might be a blood issue coming up, but I'm not sure.

BTW, this book is a very NON-technical, easy read, and I highly recommend it!

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/jeff-wheelwright/wandering-gene-and-indian-princess/

In 2008, science writer Wheelwright reported in Smithsonian magazine on the discovery in Catholic Hispanos in New Mexico and Colorado of a genetic mutation, BRCA1.185delAG, that is characteristic of Jews. The mutation, whose designation indicates that the letters AG are missing at location 185 on the gene, causes the gene to fail at its task of suppressing cancer. The author tells the story of the discovery of its ancient origins more than 2,000 years ago among Hebrew tribes in the Middle East, the dispersion of the Jews to Europe, the enforced conversion of many Jews to Catholicism under the Spanish Inquisition and the arrival of Spaniards in the New World. Into this large picture, Wheelwright weaves the story of Shonnie Medina, a young Hispano woman who carried the mutation, and of her extended family, possible carriers of the gene. Medina was raised a Catholic but became a Jehovah's Witness, a fact that allows the author to weave another thread into his complex tapestry

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

" He also addresses the penchant for JWs to seek alternative treatments."

I get what the writer is trying to say but presenting anecdotal evidence is dumb.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I get what the writer is trying to say but presenting anecdotal evidence is dumb.

Good catch! I should clarify that he doesn't attempt to link this family's behavior with all JWs. He uses the JW stuff to paint a picture of the cultural context in which this woman lived and how it shaped her medical choices.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

I see. When you stated what I quoted that implies that JW's have a thing for alternative, which is probably not the case. I'm going to guess that the percentage of JW's who use alternative medicine is the same as non-JW's.

Also, I'm sure you know this, but for anyone reading this, using alternative medicine for treating cancer is dumb.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I see. When you stated what I quoted that implies that JW's have a thing for alternative

Agreed. That's why I said it was a "good catch."

When you stated what I quoted that implies that JW's have a thing for alternative, which is probably not the case. I'm going to guess that the percentage of JW's who use alternative medicine is the same as non-JW's.

I'm not sure I agree with your statement.

I suspect the general population with the same low socio-economic/educational level as the average JW seeks alternative treatments at approximately the same ratio, but I also suspect that JWs include a disproportionate portion of individuals from that low socio-economic/educational level. So, I do think JWs have a "thing" for alternative treatments, and my 40+ year history in the organization in four different states informs my opinion. Additionally, the WTBTS has written articles cautioning against promoting alternative treatments in the congregation, so apparently it felt it was a problem that needed addressing.

using alternative medicine for treating cancer is dumb

Using alternative medicine as the sole treatment for cancer is indeed "dumb," but using certain forms as adjunct treatment can be helpful.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

And only a small minority of all the witnesses i've encountered used alternative medicine. i guess my anecdotal data trumps yours.

also i'm sorry to tell you but alternative medicine is all snake oil.

the wt writing cautionary statements about alternative medicine doesn't mean jack shit. they write warnings for literally everything. see the thread here http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/244690/1/Crazy-Weird-Quotes-in-1-15-WT-Article-WT-Society-Opinions-Nothing-More

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

And only a small minority of all the witnesses i've encountered used alternative medicine. i guess my anecdotal data trumps yours.

This will be my last response concerning this issue because you are taking this thread off topic, and the subject of JWs and alternative treatments has been repeatedly debated on this DB. Feel free to resurrect one of the prior threads.

Nevertheless, I noticed you skipped my primary socio-economic/educational level argument and instead chose to focus on the secondary anecdotal evidence that I specifically said merely informed my opinion. Bad form. ; )

also i'm sorry to tell you but alternative medicine is all snake oil.

Many physicians/hospitals use a holistic cancer treatment approach. Apparently, they didn't get your memo.

the wt writing cautionary statements about alternative medicine doesn't mean jack shit. they write warnings for literally everything.

I didn't write that the WTBTS has written "cautionary statements about alterantive medicine." I said they wrote concerning "not promoting" it in the congregation. They wrote concerning not promoting because people were forming strong opinions for/against certain treatments, and it was causing problems in the congs.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This is interesting. It does seem a true die hard, even inventing rules of your own, Witness was involved. Some Witnesses have such zeal they go beyond WT rules.

I believe the Rutherford era WTs often were against medicine and science. There were fradulent machines at Bethel. What I do not know is how Americans in general approached medicine during this time period. Sometimes I am stunned by how sophisticated people approach alternative medicine. It seems that hatred of doctors is only second to hatred of lawyers.

May I ask what was the reaction of your classmates?

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think Witnesses are vulnerable to alternative treatments, since they dismiss the "establishment" and "science" pretty thoroughly. Why waste your education on medical degree when it won't be needed in the new system?

Bethany Hughes was taking laetrile when she died of leukema.

I am glad there are books like this out there to help the public (and future health professionals) understand the in's an outs of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

I ignored your socio-economic bullshit because there is no correlation. There are smart,dumb,poor, and rich people who buy into alternative medicine garbage.

it also doesn't matter if doctors and hospitals use holistic medicine. That stuff has a placebo effect at best and is dangerous at worst. People who buy into it are dumb. That's a straight up fact.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit