Elder Doofus????

by Gojira_101 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• Gojira_101
    Gojira_101

I would like to share an experience from my younger days, which now as I sit here I can't believe it's almost been 10 years now since this happened. It still feels like it was yesterday.

So my family and I moved out of our old Hall and wanted to start new because of the crap we all went through in the old Hall. This is a link of my story NE posted for me http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/experiences/244665/1/One-experience-in-our-old-Kingdom-Hall-that-still-HAUNTS-me . True story here.

So we moved out of state and almost to the other side of the country wanting a new start, in a new Hall, where no one knew us....etc. There happened to be a deaf person in the Hall and I became very interested in sign language and wanting to sign the meetings. So the kind sisters (she says in a mocking tone) started teaching me signs and really soon I was signing the meetings. The deaf person tells me after awhile that I'm really good and I should become a professional signed language interpreter. Well I knew that wasn't going to happen if I didn't go to school to learn how to interpret. (Just to clarify, "signing" and "interpreting" are two very different things.)

So little ol' me desides I want to be an interpreter so I find the nearest program, which the school is 70 miles one way for me to go, but I still keep up my meeting attendance and my service time still averaged about the same. I did have to miss 6 weeks of Thursday night meeting because it was one required class, and yup it was on Thursday night. So I told the elder who was handling the schedule that I'd be gone on Thurs night for 6 weeks but I would be back and mind you this was a good month in advance that I told him, way before he did that months "signing" schedule for the sisters.

Jumping ahead now. My class was done and that semester was done also, well I ended up getting sick and I was sick for about 2-3 weeks and I came back and signed the meetings a few times, but I kept having relapses and was missing meetings so I had to keep telling them to have another sister sign the meeting. So the elder told me for the next month schedule he was going to take me off so I could get better. Okay thank you Mr Elder that is so kind and thoughtful. I got better and the next semester started and guess what? I had a class late Thursday afternoon and I would be arriving to meeting late so I talk to Mr Elder and told him I'm still coming but not to put me on for the first part of the meeting, but I can handle the last part. Jumping ahead again. I started noticing my name not being on the signer schedule as much and then I was gone completely from the list. It was all good though because I was coming into the last part of my training and I was starting my internship....etc and I missed a lot of meetings.

Jumping ahead again. I finished school and graduated with honors and my meeting attendence was near perfect again, my service time came back up....I waited about a month of "showing" the elders I was back and I'm ready to be the perfect witness again....and then it happened.

Did I mention that Mr. Elder's wife was one of the signers? The funny thing is, now that I had gone to school and knew what a real interpreter was suppose to do. I could see how badly the sisters signing SUCKED!!!!!! So to be helpful to them and the deaf person. I started sharing my school knowledge to help the sisters and the deaf person loved it. They wanted interpretation and not signing. After a few months of not being put back on the signer list, I went up to Mr. Elder and told him I knew my meeting attendence has improved and my service time was up again, it has been since I finished school and I'd like to interpret the meetings now for the deaf person.

His exact words. "Well I can see you don't have the right heart condition to be able to sign the meetings for so-and-so deaf person. Your service time can still come up some so if you can get more service time, then we can add you."

This was the only time I got in anyones face. I slamed my fists on my hips and I got right in his face and said "Since when has service become something other than voluntary. Is it still not voluntary? Than the amount of time I get in service shouldn't matter."

Again he said "well I'm sorry but you just don't have the right heart condition to interpret." And then he quickly got out of there.

So I guess this elder was Jesus if he could read my heart....what a doofus! I just spent 3 years of my life going to school to learn how to interpret (I'm still an interpreter today) I'm willing now to donate my interpreting services to the KH for this deaf person free of charge, and I don't have the right heart condition.....What a doofus!!!!!!

I've come to realize that the whole thing probably boiled down to the fact Mr Elder's wife felt threatened by me because I was a real interpreter and she knew I could see how badly they all sucked as signers. Which they did suck badly.

That's my story.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Tiny men with miniscule bits of power that they covet and love to show off.

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

Or like someone posted on our other post, the elders wife withheld 'marital dues' until hubby got rid of the 'real interpreter and threat.'

But interestingly, Bro Doofus's son went to nursing school and started missing alot of meetings also, but was still qualified to pass microphones whenever he did manage to show up for a meeting

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Welcome to the board, I am myself deaf since birth. I was MS for more than 3 years. You can PM me, maybe we know the same people.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Scott77 is also deaf.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Interesting story, Gojira, thanks for sharing. I think it highlights the whole philosophy of not allowing any individual member to shine or do anything extra that might help others if they do not fit the definition of "good standing". It doesn't matter what you do, sacrifices you make, how hard yoiu work. You must conform to their standard. You would think that with something like deaf translation they would be more concerned with quality of the message being given to the "listeners" but, no. It's all about whether the person doing the signing conforms to their rules.

You remind me of a friend I had. Her parents were not strong in the "truth" but she wanted to do something extra, so she, too, learned to interpret sign language. It didn't last long because she was not "of the right attitude".

Sounds like you tried very, very hard to fit in to the congregation, but it was never really the right fit. I can sympathize.

• prologos
    prologos

if it would be about doind the best to provide quality instruction, the good contributors of this site would be teaching in the "congregation(s)". fat chance!

it is about power, and none are more concerned about power than the power brokers. they will breake all the rules. as they did in this experience.

WTbtS appointees are disappointing, and will be disappointed.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

My daughter and a few others attended a sign language course to help a deaf couple we had in our hall. She picked it up very quickly and was soon signing the meetings at the front of the hall for them, until it was deemed to distracting for the hearing people and was stopped.

Where is the love?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Perhaps the elder had forgotten this verse.

1 Sam: 16.7

"mere man sees what appears to the eyes; but as for Jehovah, he sees what the heart is.”

As I believe I said on the other thread, I have seen more ex dubs arrive here because of elder's rudeness and bad counsel, than because of anything else..at least you are in the right place now

• Gojira_101
    Gojira_101

I've come to realize most elders are just power hungry and want to control people. What's the saying "absolute power corrupts absolutely" And unfortunately the elders are in a position of power and most of them start abusing and controling people. On my home from work yesterday I had the thought pop up that the reason why some JW's have problems and others do not....my family and even my husband has had problems with elders and when you question them when they are wrong, you are abused because you are not easily controled. But like my both of my grandmothers, they are so easliy controlled and they have never had problems with elders. My grandmothers have never questioned anything they do.

I'd rather have someone question me and correct me because it keeps me honest and true to myself!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit