Awe in Science

by PSacramento 58 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Before I agree ( or diagree) can you expand on that for me? - Psac

Any scientist who believes that god answers prayers has to suppose that god does no such thing in order to gather useful data.

This is hypocrisy - not the nasty kind but a necessary position in order to do real science.

Science and religion are diametrically opposed for this reason.

• tec
    tec

Any scientist who believes that god answers prayers has to suppose that god does no such thing in order to gather useful data.

Why?

Peace,

tammy

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Any scientist who believes that god answers prayers has to suppose that god does no such thing in order to gather useful data

If I am reading you correctly, a believing scientists has to "shelf" the view ( if he has it) that God answeres prayers to heal because then it would be quite logical to assuem that SOME of the people healed ( in the study in question) where healed by God and not the medicine. Yes?

• cofty
    cofty

Yes

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

So the scientist would have to "check his relgion" at the door to do his job in the best possible way, hence "benevolent hypocracy" ?

So that his preconceived notions that COULD effect how he viewes the end results, do NOT taint those results?

• cofty
    cofty

You're getting there - I think

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I think we are on the same page and in that regards, Yes I agree that the religious preconceived ideads that can be determintal to science MUST be check at the lab door.

• cofty
    cofty

I agree that the religious preconceived ideads that can be determintal to science MUST be check at the lab door

Further than that - belief in the existence of a supernatural must be shelved or science is impossible - please don't play semantics with the word "supernatural".

• tec
    tec

I am not sure that it has to be a contradiction for a scientist who believes in God, or even a "benevolant hypocrisy".

Science deals with the physical... what can be seen and measured (at least at the moment); and so its conclusions are based on those.

So it might be a conflict for someone, it is not necessarily so.

All people who are scientists have to shelve preconceived notions, and simply let the evidence speak. Right?

Some who believe simply think that science reveals how God did or does things. So what would be the conflict for them?

Peace,

tammy

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I would agree that the belief of the supernatural must be "shelved' as you put it, when one is discussing and observing the natural world.

There is no room for the supernatural hypothesis when observing the natural world.

One can argue that the super natural is just the natural world, yet discovered or explained BUT I don't think that view helps when dealing with the science and may actually hinder nowadays.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit