How Much Did You Actually Study the Bible as a JW?

by Ding 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ding
    Ding

The WTS says that people should read the Bible daily, but did you really do that as a JW?

Or were you kept so busy reading WT literature, attending meetings, and going door to door, that you basically had little time for the Bible itself?

Also, doesn't the WTS teach that no one can understand the Bible without "the slave" to teach its true meaning?

If that's true, then why should a JW or anyone else spend much time reading the Bible itself?

• tornapart
    tornapart

I read it far more now than I ever did before I learned TTATT! I also read it in other translations... it's very eye opening to see where they've added to scripture.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I was a regular bible reader. But of course if there was something I didn't understand, I would run to a bound volume and find the "right" answer.

• nolongerconfused
    nolongerconfused

never in 35 years...unfortunately I let a body of men determine what I should believe in...

• Ding
    Ding

Interesting comments so far...

I don't know why it took me so long to wake up to the fact that the "free home Bible study" they gave me was really a WT "Truth" book study with only a few carefully selected Bible proof-texts used here and there or that the meetings were Watchtower studies rather than Bible studies.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Bible study means something far different to me today. Before it meant underlining a WT and looking up given scriptures. Now it is reading bible passages, comparing translations. Finding out what certain greek/hebrew words mean in the context of the scripture. Reading various commentaries. Looking up blogs for what others have to say about certain subjects. Visiting bible discussion forums and comparing notes with others. Reading books (not WT books!), watching videos. All in all it's a lot more fun!!

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

I read the bible quite a bit, and always did outside research. Of course I stopped short of questioning what was in print from the branch, but I probably read more than alot.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I went through periods where I did daily Bible reading, and times where I slacked off. Of course, other forms of “study” competed with this.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

I generally did daily Bible reading, except when it was a holiday or vacation period.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

As a witness your personal study program is arranged. Prepare for meetings, underline your WT. The bible is used to support what the WT says, there is a verse in the bible you could cherry pick to support just about anything.

Even with the weekly bible reading, you only read a few chapters before returning to the meeting to make sure everyone understands it the same way. The oral review is a chance to put unique WT doctrine spin on any controversial verses.

I Don't even need to mention the Examining the Scriptures Daily.

I read the bible at every meeting I attend now. Find it hard to stomach most of the stuff from the platform.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit