Governing Body came to power when/why?

by Apognophos 6 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I've read a little on here about the GB not existing formally until the '70s, and even then not having the top position at first. Something about Knorr and F. Franz not wanting to give up their own influence? I just wondered if the eventual transition to a body of men might have been intended to prevent another "1975". Franz was able to trumpet 1975 as a special year without much supervision (I suppose Knorr approved his writing, but maybe no one else). Nowadays the President is just a paper-pusher. No one man's name is held above the others in the Society.

Is it possible that they decided after '75 that no one person should be able to have that much influence again, in order to prevent another wannabe scholar from creating a fase teaching that put egg on their face in a big way? Blood transfusions came from that pre-GB-led period too, didn't they? I'm pretty ignorant about the history of this time period, so tell me if I've got it all wrong.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Yeah I think it was a rather long term move to keep the organization up and running after 75, I think the Governing Body came to power 74, to make it more stable and less prone to mood swings of a single individual, having a group moderates things more, one of the first agendas were discussion of moving from 1914 to the launch date of the first satelite orbit of the earth 1957 i beleive.

• cedars
    cedars

I've written an article explaining the Governing Body and its history on this link...

http://jwsurvey.org/cedars-blog/the-governing-body-of-jehovahs-witnesses-explained

I hope you find it helpful.

Cedars

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Ah, thanks, I'll read it forthwith! Btw, that top picture of the GB is really funny. They obviously stuck Jackson and Herd in with Photoshop after they joined the Body. They're just popping up in front like, "Hi! We're here to break the laws of perspective!"

• cedars
    cedars

Apognophos

They obviously stuck Jackson and Herd in with Photoshop after they joined the Body.

Actually, I have to confess that I was the one who photoshopped them in. There hasn't been a group shot of the Governing Body since 2009, so we have to take some initiative until they get round to providing us with an updated photo!

Cedars

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Ah, sorry about that then. It would be funnier if it were the Society that did that, with their "professional" art department. I didn't mean to poke fun at your work, but I give you credit for owning up to the 'shopping (incidentally, it was mainly Herd that gave it away, his head should be bigger than Losch's since he's in front). Reading the article now, thanks for putting all the hard work into this....

• cedars
    cedars

Apognophos, no worries! Glad you're enjoying the article.

Cedars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit