Building New Relationships Outside the JW's

by Pyramid Scheme 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am watching the 25th year Les Miz concert on a minor PBS station. It triggered a thought that you might want to entertain. Besides sport, I have witnessed people build extraordinary relationships by performing/administering a musical or play. A gf was active in opera and light opera. Choir members are cast in local theatres. It is not Broadway, but I find it even better sometimes.

If you have no music or acting ability, they still need directors, script people, wall painters, leaflet creators, ushers.

If you do have talent, most local papers review the performance which is a real coup. My gf was active in the Village Light Opera, which does Gilbert and Sullivan productions. The Village is Greenwich Village. It is several generations old. The leads are assigned to Equity actors who get an exemption so they can be reviewed by the New York Times. The leads often go on to B'way performances.

I tagged along with no talent. Also, I joined the Opera Guild and the NYCB Guild. We had special interviews with Ballachine, met the principals in very informal settings, and hung out back stage. It is cool to enter and exit through the stage door. All we did in exchange was pay a nominal fee, which was refunded with our subscriptions, and raise money. We did such fundraising stuff as hosting a dinner for all opera workers, including the bathroom monitors. Local restaurants donated their best food. Opera stars loved attending b/c we were not snooty. We even went on field trips. The company was great fun.

Every community should have an arts group, perhaps at a community college. Show business attracts a good crowd--esp. if it no pressure.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Sounds like you have a plan.

"A guy at work mentioned Meetup.com - any experiences there?"

Meetup is great for exJW meetups. Otherwise, as you begin meeting people, ask them if they know where you can find others that are interested whatever, such as weird taxidermy of the night.

• Pyramid Scheme
    Pyramid Scheme

Thanks everyone - I have a lot of stuff to check out!

Maybe I will start on that novel I have always wanted to write......

Sparlock the Warrior Wizard versus Melchizidek the King Priest (sounds like an episode of Celebrity Deathmatch!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit