In exodus 10:17 NWT why is the word ENTREAT in capital letters?

by solomon 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Moses was indeed well advanced on the technological side. He brought a tablet(s) to the meeting. That's why JW's are also allowed to bring their tablets to the meeting.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"Its funny how God cant write the Bible so its clear. I meant the ancients didnt need hints like capitalisation to make theology clear. Jehovah next time you write a Bible, write it properly so theres no confusion in what you want to say."

It MAY come as a surprise to you, but the Bible was not written in English originally. I know, I know, it is a terrifying surprise to you, but nevertheless it is the truth.

So in Hebrew or Greek and other languages this is no problem - but it is in those languages which do not differ between 2nd and 3rd person plural.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

LOL. Hippie, I was thinking the same when I saw mP's comment.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Isn't it great, AnnOMaly, to be able to spread a little light of knowledge to mP and others?

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL... like a written language with no vowel symbols, no punctuation, or even spaces between words makes perfect sense? I don't think so.

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

With the incident at Babel HE confused the languages. What did you expect? Clarity of the written word?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Maybe the ancients weren't so wrapped up in accuracy. That would have to wait for the invention of the caliper.

• mP
    mP

TheOldHippie:

It MAY come as a surprise to you, but the Bible was not written in English originally. I know, I know, it is a terrifying surprise to you, but nevertheless it is the truth.

So in Hebrew or Greek and other languages this is no problem - but it is in those languages which do not differ between 2nd and 3rd person plural.

mP:

Dont be stupid. THe jews donteven know how to say Jehovah because they didnt originally have vowels and only introduced them much later and by that time the original pronounciation had been lost.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Mp, the question was to do with why 'entreat' was capitalized in the NWT, and the simple answer was that it isn't always apparent in English whether plural 'you' is meant or singular 'you' is meant, or if the verb (e.g. 'entreat') reflects plurality or not. (I think Hippie intended to say '2nd person singular and 2nd person plural - didn't see that before.)

The issue here is clarity in ENGLISH.

Your issue about clarity in Hebrew is a whole 'nother discussion unrelated to this one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit