IPOD help!!

by hamsterbait 10 Replies latest jw friends

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I have been putting all my CDs onto my new Ipod.

I am only half way through this, and my hard disk is almost full, as Itunes keeps the audio files on the computer.

Every time I plug in my Ipod, any tracks I have removed from my hard drive to make room for new music is deleted from the Ipod.

I want to keep all the music on the ipod, and get rid of all the CDs stored on my hard disk without them being removed form the ipod.

The instructions are so rudimentary I dont know what to do. I am not prepared to buy yet another computer because of this.

Help appreciated.

HB

• cofty
    cofty

I think you have to change settings so ITunes doesn't sync with your Ipod or vice-versa. Then you can delete the originals from your computer and upload manually.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

You don't need to buy another computer. For under $100 or so, you should be able to buy an external hard drive. I have two, one is 500 GB and the other is 2 terabytes (2000 GB). I use the 500 GB one to store my itunes library and the other one for backup purposes. If you implement this solution, you will have to designate the external drive in iTunes as your storage location, and then reload all your CDs.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Yeah if you don't have that much storage, that's your first problem. THe other issue is that you're not using iTunes properly.

To put something onto your iPod, it has to exist in your iTunes library. You're syncing your iPod with your iTunes library. If you delete an item from your iTunes library, it will remove it from your iPod the next time you sync, since it no longer exists. Don't delete stuff from your library.

• poppers
    poppers

What Barrold Bonds said.

• Aware!
    Aware!

You could just manage your content manually by following the instructions here. Trust me, you don't have to buy an external hard drive, unless you don't want to go through the hassle of ripping all your CDs again.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Manually managing is a PITA. Plus if he deletes all his content from his computer and something happens to his iPod, He'll have to do it all over again. This sounds dumb, but if he's going to use an iPod, he should use it the way it was designed to function.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Thanks that's useful.

Seems silly though that filling up your hard disk is a requirement of using Itunes.

HB

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

It's not a requirement. Storage is ridiculously cheap. Sorry you have a small hard drive.

• donny
    donny

I too bought an external hardrive and moved my music files to it, I didn't have to re-rip them again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit