What argument do Witnesses use to justify shunning DA ones?

by BU2B 14 Replies latest jw friends

• scotoma
    scotoma

The crazy thing about 1John 2:18,19 is that John himself was creating false doctrine by his statement.

Jesus said that if a sheep leaves the flock he should be searched out and restored.

The apostle John was a grumpy, disgruntled Christian who thought Jesus would return in his life time.

John probably believed the idea that he would be alive when Jesus returned (see John 21:20-23) "If it is my will for him to remain until I come of what concern is that to you?...In consequence, this saying went out among the brothers, that that disciple (John) would not die."

Old John wanted to believe that Jesus was coming soon because he was approaching death. So he switched the meaning of Antichrist from the traditional belief that it is a wicked world ruler to being any person that quit associating. This is a good example of switching the meaning by creating a "class" of people out of a single actor. There was one Christ and there can only be one Anti-Christ.

Jehovah's Witnesses have been twisting things just like the early christians.

• Terry
    Terry

A bit off-topic but here goes:

"If it is my will for him to remain until I come of what concern is that to you?...In consequence, this saying went out among the brothers, that that disciple (John) would not die."

Do you clearly hear the voice of a person NOT JOHN intruding upon scripture here butting in and trying to clarify? I sure do!

Okay, that's all.....back to our regularly scheduled Topic!

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

"the word apostasy comes from a Greek word that literally means 'a standing away from' but has the sense of desertion, abandonment or rebellion, abandonment of right moral standards, willfully abandoning the Christian Congregation…..thereby becoming part of the antichrist." (July 15, 1985 WT p 31

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think it goes in the same principle as to identify people who may not be baptized at the time of their behavioral actions,

but nevertheless they were participating in the congregation actives. Service , talks etc.

The so called separating and identifying ones in the congregation whose behavior is recognized as being not Righteous in accordance

with bible teachings.

Of course its up to the WTS. to discern what is unrighteous behavior.

And it can be really weird stuff like a man growing a beard.

• scotoma
    scotoma

Terry,

Some have speculated that the book of John really ends twice.

Acts 20:30 ends the real book of John: "To be sure, Jesus performed many other signs also before the disciples, which are not written down in this scroll. But these have been written down that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ the Son of God, and that, because of believing, you may have life by means of his name.

The added chapter 21 ends as follows: "There are in fact many other things also which Jesus did, which if ever they were written in full detail, I suppose the world itself could not contain the scrolls written."

Some scholars believe the 21st chapter of John was cut and pasted from the original last chapter of Mark which ends very abruptly. But if you read chapter 16 of Mark and then go strait to John chapter 21 it seems like it is a continuation.

The motive was a power struggle between those following John and those following Peter. The Peter cabal subtly linked John with the betrayer in vs. 20 and most of the 21st chap of John focuses on the honorable death of Peter as a martyr whereas John would at worst die a natural death or even be present to be raptured up to heaven.

There will not be a discussion of this concept in the Watchtower. EVER.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit