JW.org publishing Urban Legends in their News section

by Gorbatchov 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Crazy, those fellows at JW.ORG PR News. They publish their urben legends!!

http://www.jw.org/en/news/by-region/world/saved-from-suicide/

Gorby

• Pyramid Scheme
    Pyramid Scheme

Its funny, I just had a conversation regarding this.

One of my uber-JW relatives asked me "What about the times when people pray, and the JW's show up at that moment?"

I said "First off, its impossible to confirm any of the JW urban legends - it has as much fact behind it as the Smurf coming to life back in the 1980's and walking out of the Kingdom Hall - its all based on hearsay, but it sure sounds nice"

Second, I said "I have a documentary about the Mormons I would like you to watch. In the video, several people talk about how they prayed to God, were at the end of their rope, and then the Mormons visited them and "saved' them. If those accounts are true, why didn't God send the Witnesses instead of the Mormons?"

• Fernando
    Fernando

Why God sometimes intervenes and other times not is a mystery we may one day understand better. Possibly when we too can see the big picture which spans eternity.

I like what Ray Franz said regarding God transcending denominational boundaries. He can use anyone and anything for good at any time. Sometimes for us humans though it can take an awefully long time for the good to manifest in a bad situation.

In Cecil B Demille's classic 1956 movie "The 10 commandments" it was observed that God resides in each of us humans (albeit to greater and lesser degrees).

The Watchtower is by no means special. In fact they more often than not impede the work of the Holy Spirit - especially by means of their severely truncated gospel message and their Pharisaic legalism and materialism (walking by flesh, sight, and the letter of the law, instead of by spirit).

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

"What about the times when people pray, and the JW's show up at that moment?"

Simple... the laws of probability in action... Knocking on every 2,213,630.047 doors will yield a praying householder.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Other churches have similar stories. Here's one where a suicidal old lady was saved by a little evangelical boy handing out tracts.

• blondie
    blondie

What about the times people pray for help and no one shows up and they commit suicide...do they keep those stats.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

God is a random dude.

God bless you btw guys!

• moshe
    moshe
    then the Mormons visited them and "saved' them.

I knew someone at work who was a Mormon and they related to me how they prayed for God to reveal the true religion to them- and the next week the Mormon missionaries showed up.

nice story, so I told him, Don't you realize that if the Jehovah's Witnesses had worked your street before the Mormons did, that you would be a JW right now and not a Mormon?-

He was slack jawed and speechless-

• happy@last
    happy@last

I've not prayed in ages, is that why no-one comes to my door anymore?

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Would be interesting to read the stories about all the DF'd JWs who are contemplating suicide and have the elders come by to help them get reinstated just in time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit