Being Agnostic is depressing me....

by SkyGreen 68 Replies latest jw friends

• Ticker
    Ticker

Yes I understand they will not like you attending another Church. It takes awhile to fade and even then it takes time to adjust to being free of their control. I used to and still do watch sermons on Youtube and found that was a help in the beginning to clear up the mismatched mumbo jumbo theology the Watchtower had implanted. I liked Shawn McCraney and watched his very first episodes I think about 10 of them and then whatever other tidbits of video I could find of his on Youtube. While he specializes in helping Mormons come to Christ I found it helpful due to the similarities of the two religions so it was easy to relate. He was real down to earth and made a nice clear statement for what the Gospel actually was.

I've got some Videos myself that are a nice primer to Christian Doctrine from the Bible. No religious orientation just Christ and you. My youtube Channel is Faith4God and also have a website at www.faithforgod.webs.com that has them listed as well as many others.

Hope it helps and hang in there it will get better in time. All wounds take time to heal but time heals all wounds.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Many religions find ways to use Jesus' teachings to advance their agenda - especially religious or Pharisaic rule-making and rule-keeping or legalism which Jesus spoke strongly against in Matt 23.

All religions are careful though to steer clear of the full "unabridged gospel" message - which is the end of religion, dogma, doctrine, tradition, coercion and propaganda.

Since the false and apostate premise that Bible knowledge can save us is Gnosticism, I'm not so sure that being Agnostic is necessarily a bad thing...

• wasblind
    wasblind

((((((( Tec )))))))

This may sound corny sky green,

But life is a gift to be opened every time you wake up and face another day

Some days we may not care for that particular gift. But we move

forward to see what the next gift ( day ) holds

Sadly Jehovah's witnesses are not allowed to open that precious gift here on earth

and enjoy it to the full. Because they are told to wait on a day that

no Jehovah's Witnesses has yet to see

The gift of life , be it in heaven or on earth, is a gift and no one should think

less of either.

Please do yourself a favor and start today, open your gift

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Try atheism! We have loads of fun!

• cofty
    cofty

Skygreen you can be a great person and live a meaningful life without any beliefs beyond the natural.

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? - Douglas Adams

Apply the same critical thinking to the bible and religion that you are using at the moment towards the Watchtower.

Life is wonderful and astonishing. Did you know the atoms in your body were forged in the core of exploding stars millions of light years away? Stars died that you might live. That is far more inspiring than tedious religious dogma.

Run a mile from the people who want to trap you into an alternative religion - even though they eschew the word. Live life to the full and enjoy it. Its not a rehearsal.

Happy New Year.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Skygreen you can be a great person and live a meaningful life without any beliefs beyond the natural._____Cofty

I agree Cofty

The gift of life is to be enjoyed by anyone willin' to enjoy it

whether your a believer or not

The Jehovah's witnesses have not destroyed my belief in God

But I refused to be controlled ever again ,by anyone even under the guise of a particular religion

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

'Love thy neighbour and all that? I truly believe that if more people actually lived by those basic principles, the world would be a better place. However, the bible is so old, we cant be sure of it being 100% authentic really can we?'

Totally agree with you Sky lets look after our family, friends and neighbours. If everyone did just that it would be a great world. As for the bible it is too old to be sure of and far too old to live our lives by, I agree. If we don't know all the answers yet, why worry, we know a lot more than our grandparents did and we are learning all the time. Don't let uncertainty get you down. It is not so bad when you get used to it. I actually love it now. True freedom, the freedom to think whatever we like.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Try atheism! We have loads of fun!

You don't need to be an atheist to have loads of fun. Seriously, you don't. When I was being raised in the Episcopal Church, it was so burdenless, that I naturally came tot he conclusion that there was nothing that God could not forgive people for. There I was, 8 and 9 years old, understanding better than adults I knew, that Hell was the most ridiculous thing ever invented by humans. I never heard Hell mentioned in my experience with the Episcopal Church either. God was never used at church or by my parents to shame or scare people. The adults in my church weren't judgmental and that was a very good example for me. They had fun and no one ever talked about guilt.

As an adult going back to the Episcopal Church, for the comfort of the beautiful meaningful rituals, services and music, I learned that the church views all people, atheists, agnostics, Buddhists, Hindus, Jews, Pagans, etc. as being on their own, unique spiritual journeys. They don't view church as a place for people trying to be perfect, but more as a place for healing of the spirit and soul, like a spiritual hospital so to speak. Not so much to heal from sin, but to heal from the bumps and knocks that we get in our lives. My non Episcopalian maternal grandfather had some joke about being able to drink because "I'm an E-piss-copalian." That grandfather was a guy who got us up at 6 AM to do yoga with him and to teach us about the eastern philosophies. He had quite the sense of humor. My family made the mistakes, but religion was a place where there was deep respect for human dignity and self esteem.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

To add to my last comment, that is why I, as a universalist, feel completely comfortable back in the church of my youth. I don't have to be staunchly "Christian" to feel accepted and at home. There are Christian Universalists. You can learn a lot about them on line. I don't consider myself a Christian Universalist. I am a universalist. I remember the society often dogged people who believe that ALL roads lead to God. It was completely opposite of their high control, shame and fear approach to God and religion. I don't think you have to go to church either. I work Sundays so I hardly ever get to go. During the school year though I go to Oasis , which is unique to St. Andrews, on many Wednesday nights.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I love small towns! The community can embrace you like a warm comforter...or a straightjacket depending on your temperament. Given enough tie there will be no secrets. One of my favorite hobbies is to have coffee at the local hangout and listen to the old-timer's gossip.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit