Be Careful With Color Printers (Security Codes)

by metatron 10 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

Be careful with color printers, if you're planning anything naughty or illegal. Most contain secret codes that identify your laser printer.

https://www.eff.org/pages/list-printers-which-do-or-do-not-display-tracking-dots

I'm just sayin'

metatron

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

That's why I make my $20s at Kinkos and pay cash for them.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The self-identifying of individual printers is an unjustified invasion of our privacy.

We can't use our colour printers here in Canada for money any more. We've switched to plastic. Yes, it is see-through, and yes, there's a bit of laser printing in there, too. Our Queen is getting up in years, but she seems to carry her age better than your Presidents.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

If you are just sending nasty-grams, leave off the return address (or use 124 Columbia Hgts.), avoid "threats" and use red paper. Very difficult for most photocopiers to "read".

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Yes, the best they can track it to though is what chain you may have bought it from. Doesn't even consider second hand buying or forensic countermeasures.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I don't recommend using a printer to counterfeit money. Besides being illegal, I am seeing a day arriving not too long from now when the paper will be worth more as blank paper than as currency. As for having the government monitoring what you print, that is an intrusion--I print things way beyond just making fake toilet papers that are going to be worthless soon. (I would rather buy the silver, which cannot be counterfeited.) I print the occasional page from Satanic web sites, and I do not wish to have philo-Semite or Christian governments snooping in on what I print.

Others might print pages on how to maintain a gun, and that too is none of anyone else's business. Or, they might print single copies of copyrighted materials intended for personal use, and get in trouble because some scumbag decides that this is not "fair use". Usually, this scumbag is neither the owner of the copyright nor the publishing company, but someone with nothing better to do than restrict freedom of information. Now, if they were printing thousands of pages of copyrighted material for mass distribution, or genuinely intending to send in fake documents, that would be a more significant problem--however, most of us use our printers to store information or spread information to those who need to know.

• designs
    designs

No more sitting on the copier and making Bun pics eh

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

It's in some cases impossible to make copies of money. Some printers and scanners (HP, Xerox, ...) have built-in protection where they will throw out a blank or altered page.

See also EURion constellation.

• therevealer
    therevealer

Laser only?

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

LOL...I see someone listens to coast to coast and a few other interesting talk shows and people who talk about these issues...at least things like this get out to the public one way or another..so next time you want to fire off a letter to a government official or department remember - if you use your laser printer color or not, they can find you..and if you use your credit or debit card for copies elsewhere, you can be tracked by that method...if you phone they got you and if you email they can find you - .....sammieswife

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit