Need opinions & advice on 4G phones & pre-paid service

by FlyingHighNow 22 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I use my samsung galaxy 2 (3g) as a hotspot for my laptop when i'm away from home, works great, never had a problem, setup is so easy

Could you do that at home if you needed to? What if your battery is low on your Samsung? Can you charge it and use it at the same time. I mean for any and all functions like talking, texting, data.

• ronwashington
    ronwashington

Yeah you can use a phone normally while the hotspot thing is on. Like I said though, if that's going to be your primary internet connection, you will burn through any cap quick, or if you're on an unlimited, get throttled easily.

Also I looked up that magic jack thing, and you still need a regular broadband internet connection,as the magic jack plugs into your router.

People ask me about these sort of setups all the time (tethering only), and for long term use, it's just a bad idea. If you want to save money, ditch your landline, ditch cable, go prepaid. Just use the cheapest DSL or cable internet available to you.

• ronwashington
    ronwashington

I'm looking at these T-Mobile plans, and while cheap, they have super low caps. The highest cap is 5GB. That's not really a lot. You're talking a few movies on Netflix.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    you will burn through any cap quick, or if you're on an unlimited, get throttled easily.

Can you explain a little more what you mean?

• ronwashington
    ronwashington

Yup. With all mobile carriers you have either a quota. For example, with AT&T you might have, say, a 4GB quota. When you hit that, you'll get INSANE overage charges. Carriers like Sprint and T-Mobile will throttle your internet speeds when you hit a cap. For example, with T-Mobile 4G plans, when you hit a cap which can be anywhere from 100MB to 5GB, you get throttled down to 2G speeds. That's pretty slow and worthless for even web browsing.

What I'm trying to say is that using your cell for your primary internet access isn't a good idea if you plan on using it for any sort of media (Netflix, Pandora, etc)

• ronwashington
    ronwashington

I did see T-Mobile had a pretty decent deal on unlimited text/web w/1000 minutes for 30 a month. That's a pretty good deal and it has a 5GB cap. You could also score DSL or cable for 30-40 a month if you get a good promo or deal. That's like 70 a month which is extremely reasonable all around.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    What I'm trying to say is that using your cell for your primary internet access isn't a good idea if you plan on using it for any sort of media (Netflix, Pandora, etc)

I understand. What about e-mail? FBook? Youtube? Can you do that unlimited? I don't want to use the phone like I do my pc and internet. I'm trying to get myself off the internet at home for anything but e-mail, fb check in because my daughter writes me there and looking something up like a map or directions. What if you wanted to look at a website like JWN?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

What about IMing on a smartphone or video chat? Have you done that if you needed to?

• ronwashington
    ronwashington

Data is data. Anytime you access the internet on your phone it's going to use your quota. Web browsing isn't terrible but any sort of media, including youtube and video chatting will suck that down.

You really need to decide if you want to really 'get off the internet' or not. You say you do but you keep asking about what stuff will really hit your quota. Just get a cheap DSL or cable connection and use the internet like a normal human being.

• Pterist
    Pterist

Get a free phone number with a google account. Make and recieve free calls from you iPad/ laptop with Internet connection. You will need a cell phone also, a requirement needed so google can offer this free service, however you can have all calls to your google virtual phone transfer to your cell phone by text. I use a Tmobile pay as you go on my hacked iPhone, it only costs $15 a month for unlimited texts. I can make calls only if I need too on my cell or wait until I get home or have an Internet connection to use my google on iPad for my google free calls..total costs to me approx. $20 a month.

I hope this helps...Here is a link

http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html#utm_source=en-ha-na-us-sk&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=google%20voice%20phone%20number&utm_campaign=en

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit