Random Thoughts on visiting China to understand Tibet.

by fulltimestudent 25 Replies latest social current

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

LOL Love your style and thanks for the explanation. I have an interest in Asia and certainly the awakening of the "sleeping dragon". I will take more time for your posts and input if possible.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

My comment is slightly off-topic, but related.

The law school I attend has very close ties to the Pacific Rim. In fact, our school publishes the Pacific Rim Law Journal.

Due to our close ties, we have many Asian students, many of whom are from mainland China and Hong Kong. A student told the story of a discussion he had with a Chinese student regarding Tibet. The Chinese student expressed dismay that Americans are so hung up on Tibet since it has been part of China for hundreds and hundreds of years. Of course, the other student said that it has been part only since the early 1900s.

It took a while, but the source of the differences in opinion were tracked to the Chinese government's internet censorship. The Chinese government has re-written history, and the re-written history is all its people can access on their censored internet.

I too appreciate your posts. Sadly, Americans in general are very uninformed regarding the events in China and Middle East, and that has detrimentally impacted our politics.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Doof

I'm interested in asia, too. Along w understanding china, it's propaganda techniques is also something to be aware of, also. So, thanks for the headsup.

S

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

These two videos cover the expulsion of Buddhist believers in "Shugden" from the 'faithful' as defined by the Dalai Lama. I do not think that there is any doubt that this is happening. The D/L has spoken publically of his stand. He claims to have once 'worshipped' Shugden, but found some 'new light' and now says that Shugden is 'worldly,' (his word not mine).

Shugden believers are not allowed into temples controlled by the D/L's followers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdTnEnBsneM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wxUTbsKo-0

Its worth noting that Tibetan Buddhism was always made up of different groups (sects).

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Satanus, may I ask you to explain your understanding of Chinese "propaganda techniques."

• perfect1
    perfect1

Dharamsala is a great place to visit to understand this topic.

Tibetans have many deities, if the Dalai Lama doesnt like one, I dont see a problem with that.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Its not the personal likes of the D/L that is is question. You're quite right, if the D/L wants to give up 'worshipping' Shugden, I doubt that there would be any questioning of his decision. What is happening though, (as you can note in the videos) is that Tibetan Buddhists that prefer to keep 'worshipping' Shugden are being expelled from the D/L contolled monastories and lay Buddhists who give 'worship' to Shugden are being shunned in communities where they were previously welcome.

Just like another well-known (to us) religion.

of course, if one believes that the D/L can't do wrong, then one would go along with his 'judicial' decision.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Did i say i had an understanding of chinese propaganda techniques? I would say that it does propaganda.

S

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Satanus asked:

Quote: "Did i say i had an understanding of chinese propaganda techniques? I would say that it does propaganda."

My response: No you did not say that - you referred to a comment by Doofdaddy ( Quote: I have heard that the CG is doing so, swamping blogs sites and forums with propaganda. ).

In direct response to DDs comment you posted: (quoting you again) "Along w understanding china, it's propaganda techniques is also something to be aware of, also. So, thanks for the headsup."

I am interested in "propaganda techniques," and wondered what you were referring to, when you commented: Quote: " Along w understanding china, it's propaganda techniques is also something to be aware of, also. So, thanks for the headsup."

So now that I've attempted to clarify what my question meant, (smile). Would you now like to tell us what you believe the Chinese propaganda techniques are, maybe even by comparing them to "western" propaganda techniques, or even the "propaganda techniques of our former loving brothers and sisters ?

• Satanus
    Satanus

No, i would not, other than to say that it must have one, and that it would be good to be aware of it, as i stated. Are you suggesting that china doesn't do propaganda?

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit