Blood transfusion: Letter of Understanding

by Marvin Shilmer 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

So if a minor does not contest or their parents, is that like not resisting rape?

I should probably clarify that I do not think the HLCs assisting with crafting a LoU denotes a change in policy, but some have provided anecdotal/personal experiences documenting that they were told it is OK not to legally challenge a minor's blood transfusion. That is better evidence of a change in policy. However, I do not think it is especially good evidence because of the variance in the states and provinces regarding minors and life-sustaining blood transfusion. In sum, it could be just an accomodation to a specific jurisidiction that is particularly tough.

However, these LoUs and Acknowledgement Statements do not affect the parent's legal right to challenge a blood transfusion or the hospital's legal right to seek a court-ordered blood transfusion. Therefore, the WTBTS can always claim that they would have legally fought a blood transfusion if the situation arose.

Ultimately, it appears that these Statements have been used for at least the last six years, and there has not been any definitive change in policy.

• metatron
    metatron

OMG, what total bullsh*t.

Just another hypocrite-dominated religion that needs its Shabas Goys to get by !

metatron

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“So if a minor does not contest or their parents, is that like not resisting rape?”

Blondie,

That’s exactly what it’s like.

The document does nothing whatsoever for the Witness signing it.

The document does everything the hospital wants.

The Witness signatory acknowledges that transfusion will be given if need be and the document contains no language directing the treatment not be administered.

Justitia Themis is free to dispute this represents a change in Watchtower’s position. But it certainly represents a departure from the policy iterated by Watchtower in 1992.

Marvin Shilmer

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

As I said before and this is just proof positive:

The HLC does no longer want to get involved with a young child. They didn't for me, they won't for you. They told us to "go with your conscience" and "Jehovah will forgive you". I had already abandoned the belief by then so I was going to stand with the doctor in case my ex made a problem.

My ex tried to call the HLC the day off (for her as she was having doubts) and they simply declined to comment because she was about to give birth so she signed off on plasma. Elders knew about it, not a word was said. It was the most hypocritical (and best thing in my JW life) that I have seen the org be.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I wonder just how long these documents have been used. In the article I quoted earlier, the doctor actually directs physicians to www.noblood.com to obtain similar documents, but when I searched the site today, I could not find them. However, I was searching as a guest and didn’t have full access.

Back in 1998, Maylon seems to be referring to the “acknowledgement statements” referenced in my previous post.

Under the subheading, “Children and parental/medical responsibilities,” he writes: “They cannot and should not be expected to consent to a medical treatment which they feel is against God’s wishes and may be medically questionable. Again, new overtures by the hospital liaison committee network enable the development of trust between a child’s doctor and the parents. The doctor acknowledges the parents’ refusal of blood, yet agrees to honour their refusal to the point in his opinion, of not allowing the child to die or suffer injury. Jehovah’s Witnesses and everyone else are bound by the present understanding in the law that doctors must act in the best interest of the child as an overriding factor.” (italics added).

24 J. Med. Ethics 376, 378 (1998)

He does not say how this trust building was happening, but it was likely a written document. The trust statement has two parts: 1) acknowledgement of the patients’ beliefs, and 2) notice that the doctor will transfuse to not allow a child to die or suffer injury.

I don’t see any important differences between Maylon’s statement above and the verbiage in the Sick Children’s document, which is as follows:

“Caregivers at The Hospital for Sick Children recognize that parents or substitute decision makers of children who are Jehovah’s Witnesses usually do not want their children to be given blood products. Knowing this, doctors will look for other reasonable ways to treat these children that do not require blood products. [doctor acknowledges the parents’ refusal of blood]

In an emergency, where your child is apparently experiencing severe suffering or is at risk, if the treatment is not administered promptly, of sustaining serious bodily harm, medical staff will provide treatment that is allowed by the law, which may include blood transfusions.” [doctor will transfuse to not allow the child to die or suffer injury]

Like everyone else, I would love to see a change in the WTBTS’s policy, but Maylon’s 1998 statement leaves me even less convinced that any wholesale policy change has occured. Instead, it appears that they have been using these documents for quite some time. Anony's experience is the best evidence of change; time will tell.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I don't think there is a wholesale change of policy at the WTBTS. However, there is obviously a change in how they approach the subject of children and blood:

- Publicly: They have not brought out a single piece of PUBLIC medical advice towards parents FOR THEIR CHILDREN in the last decade. And even the last article was a reprint of an older article.

- Privately: They are still hammering on the blood transfusion issue with parents as is evident by form S-55-E "How Parents Can Protect Their Children From Misuse of Blood" which is for elders-only (I have a copy if you need)

- Towards medical institutions: They acknowledge that they have lost the fight and are only trying to put up a showmatch and they're speaking out of two mouthpieces. As S-55-E states "The law does not give parents unlimited medical decision-making authority to accept or refuse treatment for their children. Parents may not be free to refuse treatment considered necessary for their child's welfare even when their refusal is based on sincerely held religious beliefs". However then they go on to techniques to convince judges to limit doctors and give the parents the instructions "If a court order is issued despite one's best efforts, continue to ask the physician not to transfuse and to urge that non-blood alternative treatments be utilized"

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

"In an emergency, where your child is apparently experiencing severe suffering or is at risk, if the treatment is not administered promptly, of sustaining serious bodily harm, medical staff will provide treatment that is allowed by the law; which may include blood transfusion."

A typical JW will likely dismiss this statement by responding: "Yeah but Jehovah will not let the situation get that far if your faith is strong enough. Besides, if the Slave permits this letter of understanding to exist, they must know that Jehovah will provide." ...

There's no getting through the thick head of a well-indoctrinated JW.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho
    A typical JW will likely dismiss this statement by responding: "Yeah but Jehovah will not let the situation get that far if your faith is strong enough. Besides, if the Slave permits this letter of understanding to exist, they must know that Jehovah will provide." ...

i have to disagree. i think any parent with a baby or minor child would sign this document the very moment the HLC implies the warm fuzzy jehovah hug

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit