diary

by DanTheMan 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Thanks everybody. Today was so much better. I've decided that the best thing to do is to take a vacation from thinking about religious matters, it just makes my head spin out of control too much. I am feeling 1000% more confident about my decision every day, the more I think about it, the more I wonder why the hell I stuck around as long as I did.

• LDH
    LDH

Dan,

I just read your post and I just wanted to tell you, if anyone can understand what you're going through, it's us XJWs.

It's a vicious cycle, but one you start making your way things become much more clear.

I never left for doctrinal reasons, I left because the religion and its adherents treat people like shit, and that was just too hypocritical for me.

Mouthy. nice post, didn't realize you were 74 years young! You write like a Gen-Xer!

Lisa

• Pierced Angel
    Pierced Angel

Dan,

I da'd this past fall and things are getting better and better all the time. I still haven't been able to look at any other religions ( and I doubt I ever will), but I am learning that there are many good, loving, christian types out there.
    And you know what?
    Whether they read the bible or not, they're doing things that make me feel there is hope out there. They are living the christian life, not just going to a church and following rules.
    I'm just working on cleaning up the negative attitude I developed as a witness viewing the world through gray colored glasses. I no longer want fear and guilt to guide my relationship with my heavenly father.
    YOu will feel better in time.
    You will make new friends, you will learn new things, make good use of your time and find ways to feel happy and successful in life.
    It just takes time and people to talk to, even if it's something as simple as this forum and chatroom.

I hope you continue to talk to us and share your feelings. We've all been there to one degree or another and we want to help. I've enjoyed your posts and look forward to hearing more from you.

Anne

• Darkhorse
    Darkhorse

Hi Dan. Glad to see you are feeling a bit better. I have never been a JW, came to this site for informational purposes. Well, I am not into organized religion myself (it's not for me) - I am a non-practicing Catholic. But everybody's needs are different. You received many good suggestions from the other folks. I think in time, you will know in your own mind when you are ready to join another religion or not - don't rush it. Go out and see the beauty in things - go hiking, fishing, sit on a park bench or by a lake and feed the birds, ride a bike; if you need the presence of others - find a group that has similar interests such as hobbies. Talk to these people. There is much out in the world, find it.

• aprostate
    aprostate

Hi dantheman

I tried to go to a christian church several times; but, I am so afraid of brainwashing and losing my own thinking that I panic whenever they start telling me what I have to believe.

I finally found Unitarian Universalist. You can be a christian, atheist, pagan, jew, etc and still be a Unitarian. I feel like I can be who I am there and if tomorrow I feel differently it is okay.

I am not pushing this religion. I won't gain eternal life if you go LOL. I just want people to know it is there if they feel like they need that kind of support. It is a good way to be with people without feeling any pressure about what you believe.

hugs,
    Cheri

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

Einstein

• mouthy
    mouthy

Aprostate- Sorry I dont wish to offend. But learn where the Church your attending started. I dont want you to wind up in another cult-In 1959 the Unitatian Church merged with the Universalist church-
    It is not based on Scripture( If you dont mind that-then it is your buisness-)They say they believe but they make light of the Virgin birth-Trinity( I know most on here dont believe that-but just informing you of its beliefs)they do not believe in salvation through Jesus alone.They say Jesus is a little more than a wonderful teacher
    The say the Bible is is just one of many sacred writings, They scoff at Jesus death on the cross. Since the New Age teaching it has grown.
    The only reason I am telling you this is because oft times when we leave one cult we tend to drift to another- I did I then went into the Coonies..Until I found out they too thought they were the only true religion.Please dont think I am saying "listen to me" I,m not Just want you to examine what your believing...

• aprostate
    aprostate

Hi Grace,
    I have been going to the Unitarian Universalists for about a year now and I haven't heard them make fun of other religions. I don't understand on what grounds you are calling them a cult. Is it because they don't require you to believe that the Bible is written directly by God? No they don't require that; but, some do believe that. I personally don't. That is the whole point of what I like about them...they don't REQUIRE that you have any beliefs. I feel like I can breathe there.

I left JWs 20 years ago. Thank goodness I found a therapist that helped me get through it at that time. She helped me to be able to think for myself. I was so full of fear after being brought up as a JW and then going through the 1975 scare as a young adult. I went to the library and found everything I could about the Witnesses. I was just flabergasted when I found out how they had started out and what the founder of JWs was like. I had thought that the answers from Jehovah just appeared in the JW publications; but, I found out there was a group of men that sat around deciding what God wanted us to think and do.

I decided to just start reading the Bible from the beginning. I asked myself: what if I had just picked up this book and noone had told me that this was Gods official word? When I read it,it just seemed so silly and crazy to me. That is just my opinion and I respect those whose opinions are different than mine.

I am currently reading a book written by an archaeologist and a historian called The "Bible Unearthed". Very enlightning for those of you who are interested.

I believe in freedom of thought and religion. As long as you don't force your belief on others or hurt others with your belief, as the Witnesses do with disfellowshipping, I feel that you should be allowed your choice.

I have no reason to convert people to my way of thinking. It will not give me brownie points or everlasting life. I just want those who need the option to go where they can explore what they believe and not be alone, to know that the Unitarian Universalists are there. The unitarians only creed is love. It is not for everyone.

If someone needs to be a member of another christian group and that is where you feel comfortable and happy, by all means...go.

Hugs to you all Christian and non :)

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

Einstein

• joeshmoe
    joeshmoe

just a test.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit