11.00 GMT has passed...

by Chariklo 14 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

I just LOVE it when doomsday prophecies fail! Whether it's the Mayans, last year's rapture, any "aligning of the planets" crap, or even this old prophecy that Jesus would come back in 1914.

And not for the fact that I'm still here. I have hope that people will wake up to the fact that there is no merit in ancient prophecies predicting anything.

If the Mayans knew so much, why did they get conquered? Didn't see the Spaniards coming, did they?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

jws:

I just LOVE it when doomsday prophecies fail! Whether it's the Mayans, last year's rapture, any "aligning of the planets" crap, or even this old prophecy that Jesus would come back in 1914.
    And not for the fact that I'm still here. I have hope that people will wake up to the fact that there is no merit in ancient prophecies predicting anything.
    If the Mayans knew so much, why did they get conquered? Didn't see the Spaniards coming, did they?

The poor Mayans get a bad rap. They never 'predicted' anything at all for December 21, 2012. It's just the end of a baktun. Just like the end of our decades and centuries. That's all. The claims that the world was supposed to end yesterday (it's now 22 December here) were made up by 20th century nutters, not the Mayans.

• jws
    jws

Thanks Jeffro. Wasn't sure what the Mayans actually said for sure. Suspected most of it was 21st century crazies.

I do remember seeing things in the past claiming the Mayans believed this would be a time of destruction and rebirth. But that could be new interpretations.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    I do remember seeing things in the past claiming the Mayans believed this would be a time of destruction and rebirth.

They only believed this to the extent that they believed there was a similar cycle at the end of every baktun, which is every 394.5 years or so.

• Ding
    Ding

Now the media and groups that hyped this one can drive on and start whipping people into a panic about the next date... whatever that is...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit