Middle School Incident today

by skeeter1 8 Replies latest social family

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

My middle schooler came home to tell me that the police officer assigned to the school arrested a 6th grade girl. The rumors (from those who knew her and were in the bathroom with her) were that she was cutting herself and said that her family didn't love her. She had drugs and birth control. This is two days before school lets out for the Holidays.

We discussed the incident, some. I don't know exactly what to say. What I did say was that cutting is an abnormal behavior and is a sign that something is seriously wrong in this girl's life. She could be abused, depressed, or mentally ill. I said that cutters have scars for life. I said that I don't know why this girl does it; but sometimes it's a way to release the pain inside or to take control. I kept repeating that if a child has cutting scars, to report it to the counselors. The psychologists can help the child.

Middle school begins . . .

Skeeter

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I hope the young lady gets the help she needs.

• james_woods
    james_woods

From what I have read, this cutting fetish is usually an attempt to call out to parents or others for attention because the child does not feel they have a solid support system.

Once it is started, it can become quite addictive.

A sign of great emotional disturbance, not necessarily a sign of mental illness.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Oh, Lordy...

Peace.

A slave of Christ,

SA

• happy@last
    happy@last

Poor girl, how sad. It's not a reflection on the girl, more her situation. I'm sure it can become addictive, but I agree she is likely to need help. I'd imagine the police were involved because of her reason for self harming, not for the self harming itself.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

Actually I hate to tell you this, but when it comes to teens and cutting it is not abnormal behavior. I had to deal with this in my eldest son last school year. Once I was finally able to get him to talk about it, I had learned that there are a lot of teens who do this every year. His reason for doing this was, and this is his word, “To see how far I (his mother) would go with this.” When I had noticed the slashes on his arms, and there were quite a few, I had taken him to the emergency room. He ended up spending the night, because he refused to speak with anyone about what was going on. Finally the next morning after I showed back up, he still had not spoken to anyone. I asked the doctor if I could speak to him alone, and they granted my request. I asked him why he is not talking, and he told me that he does not like discussing his problems with people. I then told him that he does not answer a few basic questions that they are planning on putting him in a mental institution. I went on to tell him; there he will be forced to talk about this. He did not like hearing that, and knows that what I tell him is the truth. I have always been honest with my children in everything. Once the doctor came back into the room, he finally opened up and told them why. In his case, he just wanted to see how far the adults would take this problem, and he never expected it to go this far.

After that night I learned a few things. There are a lot of teens who do cutting, anyone who is reading this, please check your teen’s arms, legs, and other places that they can hide. Both of my sons wear long sleeve shirts, and jeans even in the summer, and that was how he was able to hide what he was doing to his body. After that for quite a while I locked up all my husband’s knives in a safe, and only just recently brought them back out.

You did well in telling your son to report it to the counselor; because that was the only way it was brought to my attention. If my son’s school did not call me, I don’t know how long my child would have kept doing this to himself.

I have noticed that after this, my son has finally balanced out in his emotions, before they were….well let’s just say very moody and cranky, but with him, he was even like that as a baby.

• james_woods
    james_woods

His reason for doing this was, and this is his word, “To see how far I (his mother) would go with this.”

And this is exactly what I have read on this syndrome: this is a strange way to cry out for help or attention.

• Incognito
    Incognito
    Actually I hate to tell you this, but when it comes to teens and cutting it is not abnormal behavior.
    ... I had learned that there are a lot of teens who do this every year.

Just because something such as this has now become common, does not signify that it is normal behavior. This is an abnormal means of seeking assistance or attention, assistance or attention that can be gained through more positive and less harmfull methods.

• zeb
    zeb

attention seeking but for a variety of reasons.

6th grade ? what age is this. Birth control? drugs?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit