The "one-Scripture" Rule

by LDH 32 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

So much of JW belief is based on just one or two Scriptures, while they ignore the thrust of true Christianity! Here are some examples:

1. The Faithful and Discreet Slave--mentioned ONCE in the Bible

2. Birthdays--mentioned TWICE in the Bible

3. Disfellowshipping--mentioned (I'm being liberal here) ONCE

4. Blood--Mentioned ONCE (NT), and only regards eating/consuming blood

5. Door to Door Work, mentioned ONCE in the Bible.

I find it amazing that my childhood was based on Scriptures that occured only ONCE in the Bible!

Lisa

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

JW's love themselves some rules, don't they?

Spoons?!? Can I assume that the potatoes will be mashed tonight?

• Scully
    Scully

"easing nature"..... mentioned twice in the OT

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=23040&site=3

Love, Scully
    Shameless Self-Promotion Class

• DB
    DB

Interesting, Lisa.

Actually, as you are well aware I am sure, the birthday celebrations mentioned in the bible in no way resemble those held by most sane folks today. I have never heard of anyone being beheaded at a modern-day b-day function. Also, no one that I know of has ever been 'idolized' by having their b-day celebrated. Most people have some cake and get on with their day.

To me, a nice, dignified b-day acknowledgement (or party, if you will), is not objectionable. I guess a case could be made against excess revelrie and some of the pagan trappings, but to me a simple celebration is not objectionable.

BTW, I have heard of some jw graduation parties that have had guests numbering in the HUNDREDS. Now, rhetorically, why don't they consider that as undue attention given to one individual? And yet, even a small b-day gathering is seen as possibly giving undue attention to the individual.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Besides that, they go and make part of their worship so many things that aren't even in the bible: Kingdom Halls, Theocratic Ministry School, Field Service, Time Reporting, Written Reviews, Meeting which require that you raise your hand and comment, Pioneers, Circuit Assemblies, Bethel Home, printing of innumerable books and tracts, etc., etc.

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Lisa,

True Christians in the 1st century live off the same scriptures that we have today. So, we need to ask ourselves that: "Are we going to apply it?"

• terafera
    terafera

Hi DB!

Very good points you make! Thats what I've always thought...the talk about not making a big deal out of a person, but like you say, I've heard of extremely lavish parties for people leaving for Bethel, graduating, etc. Whats the difference if its a small gathering for cake and celebrating another year of life? Very true...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Fred:
    "True Christians..."
    Oh yes, I nearly forgot - they took that name by providence, didn't they!!!

Lisa:
    Add this one to the list...
    Christians - 1 passage
    JW's - 0 passages

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

I celebrated my daughters birthday with a party her first, her mother done all she could to spoil it, but we had a great time, went to skating rink and had invited some of her friends, had cake, icecream, eats, etc etc. she loved it. She was somewhat hesitant about it with all the bull manure she's heard from mom and others at the borg. I told her she was very important to me, and that her birth was something i was really happy about so why not celebrate it. I told her of the circuit overseers who come and everyone wants to invite them home to cook something special for them, that she knew for her mother had done it so she didn't see any difference in that and celebrating her birthday when we talked about it. We'll be doing it again next year too.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Lisa, don't forget that exactly literal event tucked inside the so very symbolic language of Revelation....

Yes, you guessed it, the end of the world, the battle between god and man.... wait a minute, how the hell does that work? Battle between god and man??...negro please.

*boxing announcer voice* #6) HAAAARMAGEDONNNNNN

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit