Doug still has a mess...

by Glander 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Glander
    Glander

o' theely oma.

You've all seen the TV spots. A non-actor says "My name is Doug, and I have mesothelioma" You are then encouraged to contact the Law firm that sponsors the ad if you have ever worked in any environment that involved handling asbestos.

Meso. is a form of lung desease that has been tied to past exposure to asbestos. It was the subject of dozens of lawsuits over 30 years ago. Apparently it still has life.

It has become a cash cow to the tort law industry.

Recently a judge threw out a bunch of cases as "frivilous". This can involve fines and costs against those bringing such suits.

If you have any interest in the tort law racket a must read is John Grishams novel "King of Torts". You will learn a lot.

• Glander
    Glander

Shameless. BTTT

• moshe
    moshe

We had electricians tested 30 years ago for asbestos damage, by taking lung xrays. Some of the guys had lung scaring and signed settlements with the asbestos manufacturers for $3000 and up. I was too young at the time for that program. As I recall a lawyer came to the union hall and convinced everyone to get tested and get some of the "free" money- not sure how much the lawyers got- 30%?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Similar advertising for people damaged by past drug therapies. Those old, harmful drugs have been replaced by new drugs. New drugs are being advertised, of course. Seems like scams at both ends.

S

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Litigation is the only recourse against these companies, who know exactly what the hell they are doing. Studies are done to determine if they will lose more by recalling XYZ or dealing with the lawsuits. If corporations are people, why can't we throw them in prison, or the electric chair when they knowingly put workers and customers in danger? Until then, we can sue.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Litigation is the only recourse against these companies, who know exactly what the hell they are doing.

Do you have a source for this statement.

If you're going to write "everybody knows this" or "do some research," don't bother.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Jeff you seem to have a very hard time in finding information, I'm sorry about that, you can fix it. No need to be a snide ass.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

JeffT,

You seem to be suggesting that there are other recourses - ?

If you are going to write "don't buy their products" or "write to your congressperson," don't bother.

• Satanus
    Satanus

They (the corps) are creating one need and filling it w a product, which product creates another need, which is filled by another of their products, which cretaes another need, yaddityt yaddity yaa........ Quite a capitalist system domino effect - domino capitalism;)

S

• JeffT
    JeffT

Do any of you have documentation of the statement that the drug companies are deliberately selling unsafe drugs?

I'm working, I'm not trying to argue any point at all, so I don't have to prove anything. If you're going to slander my family and freinds you better be ready for a fight.

And no, I won't do your homework for you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit