New Baptism Requirement?

by The Searcher 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

I would appreciate answers on this from elders or former elders .

Speaking to a young unbaptized Witness, he said that he'd like to get baptized ASAP, but he would have to achieve a return visit or two on his report before that could happen.

When I asked him what made him think that, he said that that was what the elders had told his sister to do, before she could get baptized.

Is this standard practice by elders?

Haven't they read Acts 2:38 to find out what qualifies a person for baptism? Or do they think the Ethiopian eunuch was doing return visits in Jerusalem, before Phillip baptised him?

'Going beyond the things' written springs to mind.

• pixel
    pixel

I haven't heard that one

• cofty
    cofty

Its just local elders behaving like idiots as ususal. They are actually doing him a favour if they put him off getting baptised.

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

Simple manipulation by idiot elders

• Splash
    Splash

Tell him to get the requirement down on paper from the elders, then let him show the CO when he comes.

In the meantime he can show as many of the cong the piece of paper as possible, for maximum humiliation during the CO visit.

Splash.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Nope never heard that one.

Maybe he should ask the elders where a "return visit" is mentioned in the bible...

• blondie
    blondie

Back around the 1970's you had to have one regular bible study to be approved as a regular pioneer. But no requirements other than be an active publisher to get baptized.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I think this is one of those unwritten standards. I've heard and have witnessed elders deny baptism because the hourly requirement was not up to their liking and if this individual doesn't have any RV--definitely they would hinder his baptism

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I think they should not allow anyone to get baptized unless they can stand on one foot, jump up and down whilst rubbing their tummy and patting their head and simultaneously reciting the 66 books of the Bible in order ... in the original languages: Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek.

Then do it again backwards.

There is no God but Jehovah, The Governing Body is the Faithful and Discreet Slave ...

There is no God but Jehovah, The Governing Body is the Faithful and Discreet Slave ...

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Sounds like the local standard to prove (s)he is having a meaningful share in the ministry.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit