How hard is it to attend a congregation outside of the territory where you live? Consequences for doing so.

by hoser 28 Replies latest jw friends

• the comet
    the comet
    I think less than 50% of the people in my hall live in the territory. I didn't realize this was still a taboo thing.
  • a watcher
    a watcher

Half my congregation lives outside the territory, including elders and pioneers, and me.

It's no big deal here.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    It is viewed as "spiritual immaturity" to move from congregation to congregation. But the same article I recall stated that if a family head felt it was in the "spiritual interest" of his family to change that was acceptable. So just say that you felt it would be spiritually advantageous to move. State you do not wish to discuss your reasons. Then fade the hell out of there.
  • berrygerry
    berrygerry

think less than 50% of the people in my hall live in the territory. I didn't realize this was still a taboo thing.

This changed several years ago.

In times past, there was an annual reminder that all should attend their assigned congregation. A few years ago, this was changed to: We'd rather have you attend another congo than fade away.

• Billy ex Blaze
    Billy ex Blaze
    most elders and even COs that I know don't care I'd you go to a hall out side of the territory as long as you move your record card. That way they can still keep track of you.
  • sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

and while you move into another hall, you can hope they loose your publisher card, like mine was ,

still misplaced as far as I know. hopefully it was tossed it out.

no one knows where i am or what im up to.

the only way the elders 'care' is if you 'work' for them ms or elder or pio.

then its a loss to their personal record keeping, and someone for assignments.

anyway, if any one had ever questioned me on that, Id simply ask them for the scriptures to back up the 'rule' [bible based teaching] that we need to go were we are assigned.

[believe me, id be left alone after that request]

• confuzzlediam
    confuzzlediam
    I never thought twice about moving to a different hall from the one that we were assigned. We just up and moved, told the elders in the new hall that we were transferring over. They got our publisher's cards and that was that. It is nobody's business why you move. Just say it is a better fit for you and your family.
  • freddo
    freddo

In the UK if you're in a city or big town with more than a couple of congregations in a small area there is often cross-pollenation and no-one worries. When our old congregation split in 1998 I was asked to be an elder in a "the other half" to the one I lived in just to balance up the numbers of elders a bit.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

We just quit attending our old KHall, started attending the new one on the other side of town. Pub Cards got transferred (although we hadn't turned in any "time" for a year or more). Quickly slowed on attending meetings, when meeting times changes at the 1st of the new year, we said we liked the early meeting time better and attended there sporadically. Everyone (if anyone cared) always thought we were at the OTHER meeting.

Don't miss them at all.

Miss a few of the close friends, but found out that most of them were not really friends. Just other JWs that "like" you due to obligation if you happen to be a JW too.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit