• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Excellent primer, my Dear Poppers!

• besunny
    besunny

TY Poppers for the great suggestions!!

• JeffT
    JeffT

As noted above there are many ways to meditate. Pick one that works for you and go for it. I was told something that was at once simple and profound "Prayer is talking to God. Meditation is listening to the answer."

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I like that poppers, I will try that. One thing I forgot to mention is that meditation takes practice, the more you do it, the more effective it becomes.

• poppers
    poppers

One of the biggest challenges is not to get discouraged when thoughts come. Having thoughts is perfectly normal during meditation, so don't try to get rid of them. Trying to get rid of thoughts is a recipe for frustration and failure. Instead, simply let them come and go without putting any importance on them. Your focus during meditation is simply being aware of the breath - feel it come in and go out again without trying to manipulate it in any way, and just pay gentle attention to its length, and then resting whenever there is a pause in the breath. Return again and again to breath awareness whenever you realize you've become lost in thoughts again. The same goes for being distracted by physical sensations and emotions; when you notice that has happened return attention to the breath.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Absolutely beautifully said, Poppers, and I agree. Do not judge the thoughts, nor judge yourself for having thoughts! Assign them no importance. As the analogy I used earlier, see your thoughts as leaves floating down a stream (or bubbles floating to the top of an acquarium.) Just watch them go... and return to paying attention to your breath.

And do NOT get discouraged. I thought that I couldn't meditate, and I had tried several times over the course of several years... when I finally got excellent (and simple!) instructions and saw just how easy it really is for anyone to do. It seems that everyone just starting thinks, "I can't do this! I can't stop thinking!" but when you allow the thoughts to pass through with no recognition and return to the breath... you are doing it right.

JeffT, a very dear friend quoted that to me! I agree! A prayer is asking, and meditation is listening for the answer.

• poppers
    poppers

And do NOT get discouraged. I thought that I couldn't meditate, and I had tried several times over the course of several years... when I finally got excellent (and simple!) instructions and saw just how easy it really is for anyone to do. It seems that everyone just starting thinks, "I can't do this! I can't stop thinking!" but when you allow the thoughts to pass through with no recognition and return to the breath... you are doing it right.

Good follow up comment, BabaYaga. I'll also add this: don't expect any particular experience to happen, and don't resist whatever happens. Each meditation session is perfect in whatever way it transpires.

• Wide Awake!
    Wide Awake!

I have a question about this: Are you supposed to be aware that you are in the moment? For instance, I usually check to make sure I hear silence and am aware of my breathing in two areas (chest and nostrils for example). Or I can actually focus on my breathing.

So I guess my question is do I want to be aware of my breathing or focus on my breathing?

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Wide Awake,

A focus on the breath is a good excercise to get you started. And yes, you want to actually pay attention to your breath. Notice how it feels... how it sounds... how you can feel it everywhere, not just in your chest. So... yes... both are correct, I suppose. Be aware of AND focus on your breath. Your breath is not exactly what it is all about (but then again, it is.)

After you are familiar enough with the process, you can go into meditation anywhere, and at nearly any time. You really can meditate while washing dishes, for example. You don't have to be in a certain position in a certain environment, and you don't have to focus on your breath once your meditative state comes naturally.

The CD that is the best I have found on the subject is by Dr. Weil and Jon Kabat Zinn: Meditation for Optimum Health. http://www.amazon.com/Meditation-Optimum-Health-Mindfulness-Breathing/dp/1564558827

I hope this helps.

Love,
    Baba.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit