"Last days" of John 6:53-57

by pixel 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The last day in question is the day of the resurrection of the believers, of the just and unjust.

See John 5:

24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and ( W ) believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and ( X ) does not come into judgment, but has ( Y ) passed out of death into life.

Two Resurrections

25 Truly, truly, I say to you, ( Z ) an hour is coming and now is, when ( AA ) the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who ( AB ) hear will live. 26 For just as the Father has life in Himself, even so He ( AC ) gave to the Son also to have life in Himself; 27 and He gave Him authority to ( AD ) execute judgment, because He is the Son of Man. 28 Do not marvel at this; for ( AE ) an hour is coming, in which ( AF ) all who are in the tombs will hear His voice, 29 and will come forth; ( AG ) those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.

Then we have in John 6:

35 Jesus said to them, “ (AV) I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me (AW) will never thirst. 36 But (AX) I said to you that you have seen Me, and yet do not believe. 37 (AY) All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out. 38 For (AZ) I have come down from heaven, (BA) not to do My own will, but (BB) the will of Him who (BC) sent Me. 39 This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of (BD) all that He has given Me I (BE) lose nothing, but (BF) raise it up on the last day. 40 For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who (BG) beholds the Son and (BH) believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will (BI) raise him up on the last day.”

Words to the Jews

41 (BJ) Therefore the Jews were grumbling about Him, because He said, “I am the bread that (BK) came down out of heaven.” 42 They were saying, “ (BL) Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother (BM) we know? How does He now say, ‘ (BN) I have come down out of heaven’ ?” 43 Jesus answered and said to them, “Do not grumble among yourselves. 44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me (BO) draws him; and I will (BP) raise him up on the last day. 45 It is written (BQ) in the prophets, ‘ (BR) And they shall all be (BS) taught of God .’ Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father, comes to Me. 46 (BT) Not that anyone has seen the Father, except the One who is from God; He has seen the Father. 47 Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes (BU) has eternal life. 48 (BV) I am the bread of life. 49 (BW) Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. 50 This is the bread which (BX) comes down out of heaven, so that one may eat of it and (BY) not die. 51 (BZ) I am the living bread that (CA) came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, (CB) he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give (CC) for the life of the world is (CD) My flesh.”

52 (CE) Then the Jews (CF) began to argue with one another, saying, “How can this man give us His flesh to eat?” 53 So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of (CG) the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves. 54 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will (CH) raise him up on the last day. 55 For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink. 56 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood (CI) abides in Me, and I in him. 57 As the (CJ) living Father (CK) sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also will live because of Me. 58 This is the bread which (CL) came down out of heaven; not as (CM) the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread (CN) will live forever.”

The last day is the BODILY ressurection, hince the "raise up".

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Incidentally, concerning "the last day" (Greek esxatos [2078] hemera [2250]):

This phrase is used in John exclusively. It occurs at:

John 6: 39, 40, 44, 54 (By Jesus, eschatalogically in ref. to the resurrection)

John 7:37 (By John in reference to a festival)

John 11:24 (By Martha, speaking of a future resurrection)

John 12:48 (By Jesus, in reference to a future judgment)

Concerning Martha's use of the term, the BECNT says, " Martha's affirmation of end-time resurrection was in keeping with Jesus' own teaching (cf. 5:21; 25-29, 6:39-44, 54), which in turn cohered with Pharisaic beliefs (cf. Acts 23:8; Josephus, Ant. 18.1.3 ~14; JW 2.8.14 ~163; see Barrett 1978:395) and those of the majority of first-century Jews (Bauckham 1998b)."

• pixel
    pixel

So, if it is a bodily resureccion, the annointed (acording to the WT) are out of th equation.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Actually, it would include all those resurrected. Note how Paul understood it:

(1 Corinthians 15:22-24 NWT) . . .For just as in Adam all are dying, so also in the Christ all will be made alive. 23 But each one in his own rank: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who belong to the Christ during his presence. 24 Next, the end, when he hands over the kingdom to his God and Father,. . .

Here Paul frames the resurrection with two occurences, "Christ the firstfruits," which, of course, was first century. Then, "those who belong to Christ during his presence. Next the end, when he hands over the kingdom . . ."

So the resurrection of "those who belong to the Christ" occurs "during his presence," but before he "hands over the kingdom" at the end of the 1000 years.

Those resurrected during his presence, are resurrected "each one in his own rank." ("Rank" could also be "order"; The Greek is tagma [5001], which means "anything arranged in order or in array such as a body of troops, a band, cohort.") This phrasing lends some credence to the idea of those ruling with Christ being raised first, then all believers/faithful ones, then the general population of mankind. All of whom "belong to Christ" by means of his ransom sacrifice. The phrasing by Paul allows for this to stretch out over a long period of time.

• pixel
    pixel

Interesting Bobcat. Thanks for your imput! I think the point is whoever comes in the resureccion, has to wait 'till "the last day". Also, I understand "presence" as the second coming of Christ.

When he comes the second time, he will raise up everybody in order.

• prologos
    prologos

hi all, Jesus said these words recorded in John 6 in PUBLIC ASSEMBLY, he was speaking to people with an earthly hope. (context trumps)

The talk of consuming the blood and flesh had everything to do with the last supper. it was progressive revelation at its best. that is why he could say after the passover meal: This IS or means my Blood and this IS or means my flesh (that I was talking about earlier when some others where stumbled).

Exercising faith means eating and drinking, not observing.

The last day is the thousand years. the 144 000 are resurrected PRIOR to the last day. so its the general Christian population, all should partake.

Its the Emblems that are symbolic. the eating and drinking is literal.

When Jesus served the Bead and the Wine, the disciples had an EARTHLY hope.

All those that eat and drink HAVE Everlasting Life. (obviously you have to die to be resurrected in the last day) but you HAVE in God's mind Everlasting Life.

The 144 000 have to SACRIFICE that right, just as Jesus did, to get IMMORTALITY and be resurrected, or raptured BEFORE the last day, to be kings and priests for that 1000 year day. The other partakers retain that right.

To suggest that John 6 applies only to the "anointed", that the OS should just observe, is the most blatant attempt to deprive persons of Everlasting life. Read John 6 carefully. its the strongest indictment of the consequence of erroneous doctrine. peace to you. caveat: (if it is all legit)

• AGuest
    AGuest
    My question is what is this "last day" that Jesus was refering to? Was it the "Last Days", meaning, according to the WT, after 1914, is it the "last last day" after the big A and all that? or, was it after 1919 or something like that when the anointed supposedly began to go the heaven according to the Borg?

There is one "last day", dear Pixel (peace to you!) and it is neither 1914, 1919, nor the millenial reign of my Lord. It occurs AFTER that reign, after it's end (and thus after the "1,000 years" have ended). It is the Judgment, which consists of the second (and general) resurrection and judging of the dead... which occurs even after the war [of the MOST Holy One of Israel, JAH of Armies] at "Har-Mageddon."

"And when the thousand years are ended, Satan will be released from his prison and will come out to deceive the nations that are at the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them for battle; their number is like the sand of the sea. And they marched up over the broad plain of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city, but fire came down from heaven and consumed them, and the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

"Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. From his presence earth and sky fled away, and no place was found for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead werejudged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done. And the sea gave up the dead who were in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead who were in them, and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done." Revelation 20:7-14

Daniel also wrote about the latter part of this vision at Daniel 7:9, 10.

Martha mentions this "day" when speaking to my Lord about the death of her dear brother, Lazarus:

" Martha said to [Jesus], 'Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But even now I know that whatever you ask from God, God will give you.” [ Jesus] said to her, “Your brother will rise again.” Martha said to him, “I know that he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day.” John 11:21-24

Paul (?), also, mentioned it, when explaining the resurrections (notice, plural)... of which, after Christ's, there are TWO (2):

"But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive. But each in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, thenat his comingthose who belong to Christ. Thencomesthe end, when he delivers the kingdom to God the Father after destroying every rule and every authority and power." 1 Corinthians 15:20-24

The hope of Israel/the Jews was always for a resurrection; even Job, when undergoing trial/tribulation at the hand of the Adversary, asked to be "concealed in Sheol," because he knew that it would be temporary, that JAH would not LEAVE him there indefinitely but call him back out. (Job 14:13). When my Lord arrived, however, he offered something Israel had NOT known of, anticipated, or even hoped for: and PRIOR resurrection.

Which was another feature of the GOOD news about/from Christ: that whereas Israel had previously hoped for a resurrection "on the last [Judgment] day", NOW there was a NEW Covenant that offered a resurrection even BEFORE that day... one that also came with the privilege of RULING in God's kingdom! Yes, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, David, the Prophets, the disciples had always looked forward to a resurrection and life in God's kingdom ("paradise")... but they had never entertained RULING in it, at least not as a GROUP! They knew they were a chosen people and people "for a special possession," and that a king "out of Judah" was supposed to always rule over them... but to rule WITH him? Far, far beyond the scope of what they had ever imagined!

But that is what Christ promised: that those who belonged to HIM would not only rule WITH him for a time... but be resurrected FIRST... so as to do so:

"I saw thrones, and seated on them were those to whom the authority to judge was committed. Also I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for the testimony of [Jesus] the Word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended. This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy is the one who shares in the first resurrection! Over such the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and they will reign with him for a thousand years." Revelation 20:4-6

This occurs "immediately after the tribulation":

Immediately after the tribulationof those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elected (chosen) ones from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other."

These are those mentioned by Paul (?) here:

"I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed." 1 Corinthians 15:51, 21

And here:

"But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers,about those who are asleep,that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. For as we believe that [Jesus] died and rose again, even so, through [Jesus], God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. Therefore encourage one another with these words." 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18

BUT... the promise does not stop at these, who participate in the first resurrection and rule with Christ for a time; it extends to others, including those who are NOT of that group (the "nation of kings and priests, 'Israel'"), but others who have their sins covered/blotted out by means of his blood and so have their names written in his [the Lamb's] Book:

"I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire." Revelation 20:12, 15

Luke wrote of then when he mentioned Paul stating that there will be resurrection "of the righteous AND the unrighteous." Acts 24:15

Hence, this is the resurrection of which Christ stated:

"For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself. And he has given him authority to execute judgment, because he is the Son of Man. Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment." John 5:26-29

These who are resurrected to life in the SECOND resurrection are also raised up by Christ, the Lamb, by means of having their names written in his book, which effecuates the "blotting out" of their sins from the first book of the Judgment.

I hope this helps and you are given ears, if you wish them, to hear and get the sense of these truths, as well as when the Spirit (Christ) and his Bride say to YOU:

"Come! Take 'life's water'...the holy spirit of God, the MOST Holy One of Israel, JAH of Armies... which 'water' is poured out from the innermost parts of His Son and Christ, the HOLY One of Israel and Holy Spirit, JAHESHUA, the Chosen One of JAH (MischaJah)... FREE!"

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Pixel:

Also, I understand "presence" as the second coming of Christ.

Yea, I was quoting from the NWT. The compare on e-Sword revealed, "arrival," "coming," "comes again," "returns," and "presence" (NWT, YLT). The Vulgate had "adventu." The majority had some form of "coming." AMG's Greek-English Dictionary has, "present, presence, a being present, a coming to a place. Presence, coming or arrival."

This was an interesting subject, by the way.

Incidentally, you've moved me to try to do some research on any possible difference between "last day" and "last days." From what I've seen on "last day," it seems to be used in a general sense of a looked-for future time. My guess is that "last days" has a narrower meaning in comparison.

"Last" in the Greek is where we get our english "eschatalogical." That was new to me.

• Honeybucket
    Honeybucket

I asked a pastor who is the 144000, he mentioned those are those that have been martyrd, but are still part of the great crowd that will go to heaven.

thats why everyone eats the bread and wine

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit