Why do all religions have to have really stupid beliefs that are an embarrassment.

by mP 16 Replies latest jw friends

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I think the JWs and Mormons have been in existance for a very long time. So long ago it was before we had internet or when people were a little more trusting(?? bvad choice of word?)

So their crazy cult crap has been around a while. You would have thought the JW elite would have had 'new light'(TM) to prevent their doctrine from being so bloody stupid....but hey, the GB only care about cash, power and loving paedophilia.

...........but how do we explain the Scientology bollox???

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

It's kind of hard to define weird, isn't it? What if I told you that a spaceman made the earth, the dinosaurs, and of course humans, then a while later came down from outer space onto the world he made, implanted himself inside a virgin, grew up as a human but maneuvered events so he would be executed (you see, even though he came down from outer space, there is really 3 of him, even though it's all just the one guy, so the other 2 could still maneuver events.. even though they don't exist separately), then went back to outer space. But before he died he left instructions on how everyone can worship him forever so they can come up to space too someday. And the ones who worship him the best wear strange pointy hats and/or cloth habits if they are a woman, and can never have sex or get married to show the guy from space how much they like him. This is the story of the mainstream Catholic Church, isn't it? If you never heard a story like that before, how would that sound?

• SAHS
    SAHS

I think it has to do with opportunity. Many people can have very unorthodox and illogical beliefs, but a select few are able to seize the opportunity to actually amass followers and wealth from it.

Take, for example, the many relatively small cults, such as the Jim Jones and Moonie cults from the 70s, and more recent ones, such as the Solar Temple cult sometime around the turn of this millennium (I forget exactly when). Fanciful ideas were able to end up evolving into groups with their own little structures.

Now take the social phenomena of supposed extraterrestrial manifestations; i.e., UFOs, the infamous Roswell flying saucer crash thing, alien abductions, etc., etc. It's rather surprising just how many folks fall for such fanciful ideas, even presumably intelligent people. I say "social phenomena" because, when you think of it, these things actually serve as a sort of applied psychological experiment. The Roswell thing is a prime example of how such a simple and insignificant event - probably some aircraft they were working on went plop on the ground - has been garnished and sculpted (sort of like the "broken telephone" party game) to the point where there is now a small but relatively sizeable following of folks, and there are even many paraphernalia items sold around the town in Roswell New Mexico such as T-shirts, alien masks, caps, mugs, bumper stickers, etc. And many such folks seem to actually believe it!

It just shows how people, even seemingly intelligent people, can fall head over heels for the most illogical and bizarre beliefs. I suppose it's maybe just a manifestation of the inner child in humans. But for some folks, I guess that inner child just gets way out of control!

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

But people REALLY did build a tall tower into the clouds and then were made to talk French !

But there REALLY was a man who had super-human strength...from his hair!

A talking snake really DID convince the woman made from a rib, made from a man, made from dust, to eat an apple that brought about disease and wickedness on the planet, for every generation....

A bear really DID eat a bunch of shitty kids for calling a man 'baldy!'

The sky REALLY did rain toads for like ages !

A horse really did fly gods prophet from Mecca to Jerusalem..... no wait.... thats ridiculous.... Oh that makes sense it is in the Quaran .... Flying horses? PLEASE !!!!

A donkey really DID rebuke his owner .....

"Feck off with that stick mate!" ...........................................................

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Why do all religions have to have really stupid beliefs that are an embarrassment.

Because certain men are driven by consuming power and notoriety, created by their own self inspired initiative.

The JWS/WTS. religion was started by an ignorant religious charlatan known as C T Russell,

who was more inspired to proclaim what he personally understood of reading the bible himself and what he took

in from others. He published his acquired understandings which eventually lead to the creation of the Watchtower Corporation.

The WTS. goes to show how just one person can do in creating one singular religion.

From that one person with support by a few that he knew, created a world wide religious organization that

has now over 7 million followers.

• mP
    mP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad

Islamic tradition relates that in 620, Muhammad experienced the Isra and Mi'raj , a miraculous journey said to have occurred with the angel Gabriel in one night. In the first part of the journey, the Isra , he is said to have travelled from Mecca on a winged steed ( Buraq ) to "the farthest mosque" (in Arabic: masjid al-aqsa ), which Muslims usually identify with the Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem .

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Lots and lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$ involved in religion.

Sometimes its just easier than starting a productive business that would actually help society.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit