What's It Like To Be Normal

by EmptyInside 15 Replies latest jw friends

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Yes,that is a strange question. But,I always felt like the odd one out. And as a Witness,I felt like I had some secret from all the "worldlies" about the big secrets of the universe.

Now,that I have come out of it,I find I know nothing of the universe,not even what I believe. Most of the time,I put all these questions in the back of my mind,and am content to do so,but still feel out of place in my own life.

And I just don't know how to be like everyone else. It can be fun being a bit eccentric,but somedays,I just want to be like everyone else,so-called normal.

Now,I'm not always thinking like this,but when I come on here,I still get pangs of regret of wasting my life. I grew up in this religion,and was forced into it. I did go through a spiritual time where I was really into it. But,thinking back,I was mainly threatened and guilted into it all. And stayed way too long,worrying about what other Witnesses thought of me. And,now,no one even calls,or bothers to write,and I worried about what they thought.

Oh,well,it's just the mood I'm in tonight.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I don't know, when I find out what normal is...I'll let you know...

But I do know...it's a waste of time worrying about what other people think about you...because most of the time no one cares or just aren't that interested. So be as eccentric as you like, it's your life.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

What's normal?

i don't think i fall into that catogory

i'm only an ape yaknow

• still thinking
    still thinking

You seem like a pretty normal ape to me finallysomeprid.......but then, I still haven't figured out what 'normal' is yet...hee hee

• Etude
    Etude

Being odd is cool and hip. To be normal, you should strive to be different, just like everybody else.

A life wasted can be another life rediscovered. Whatever you went throught, think about what that has contributed to who you are now and think about the positives those experiences have given you in terms of perspective. Would you think as clearly and decicively now if it weren't for your previous intellectual encarceration? At least you seem to be asking important and interesting questions.

The questions about the universe are quite fundamental. For me, the answers were critical. After my major shake up as I slipped away from the witlesses, I felt Catholic again because I was in Limbo. I didn't know what to believe and was very troubled by thinking that either God had failed me or there really wasn't a god. I don't know about anyone else, but that was very painful to me. Yet, that was my journey. You have to find yours. Good luck along the road. If you need to bounce some ideas, I'm here and so are a lot of other people.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I think it's human nature to feel set apart from others. That feeling may be exaggerated if you're a born in. But whether or not you were raised in a cult, I think everyone as their own version of normal. I commented to my stepson once how weird someone was. He responded by saying everyone is weird in their own way, and I think he was right.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

The problem with being in a ‘toxic religion’ like the Witnesses is that you become isolated from mainstream society; but if you ever leave you become isolated again from everyone familiar to you- and that could cause a person to feel abnormal.
    But really, the normalcy of society is a facade- the more you get to know people, the stranger and more surprising they seem to be.
    To want too much to be normal might mean denying yourself the chance to be who you really are and reaching your full potential.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

"Feeling normal" is a GOOD thing. Being normal, re-joining the rest of society feels good.

I just talked about this in a video I am editing for my Youtube channel. Hang in there EI- you are among friends!

• clarity
    clarity

So glad that I had a couple of decades of 'normal' before I got sucked in.

What does it feel like ..... well for instance.....

Being normal is .... relating to people just as they are, warts and all.

Your mind wouldn't be spinning with thoughts of how to convert people

who may sit down beside you on a bus or a plane ... or knock on a door

to tell others what to believe.

>

Being normal is ....going to a game, or school assembly ... and you don't

even think about what you will do when Oh Canada or The Star Spangled

Banner is sung. It doesn't enter your head to sit!

>

Being normal is ... saying, do you want to go for coffee ...after having a nice

chat with someone ... and the word 'worldly' never enters your head!

>

Being normal is .... saving money & investing for your retirement ...

it will never enter your head that you won't need money...that it will be

thrown in the street. You know you will die some day & and you prepare!

>

Being normal is ...getting involved in your community. It will never

enter your head not to help your neighbors or not to vote or not to

march in the parade!

>

Being normal is ...to think of the future, to have children, to buy a house,

to go to university.... it will never enter your head that at any time, just

around the corner is total destruction for 8 billion people ...and you if

you don't do what 8 men tell you to do... you will be one of them!!

>

Being normal is ... thinking, discovering, questioning, debateing ... it

will never occur to you to 'park' your brain at the door, or to give your

mind over to anyone else!

>

Being normal is ... you know just ........normal.

clarity

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"Show me a man who is normal and I shall cure him for you" is a more than likely apocryphal quote , variously attributed to Jung and Freud, probably neither of whom actually said it or anything close.

But it does highlight a truth I think, to be "normal", is to be boringly part of the herd of mankind, like all the slavish followers of fashion, who end up all looking much the same.

Give me eccentric any day.

I, as a saddo born-in, never felt part of society, but never felt fully a JW, it tore me apart, and almost killed me. Having been away from the baleful influence of the JW/WT cult for a few years, I now feel very much part of society, and comfortable with who I am, and with non-JW's.

J.W's put me on edge, I keep away from them as much as possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit