What was it about Bethel that woke you up?

by cognisonance 95 Replies latest jw friends

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I heard a rumor that they search people's belongings in Bethel on a fairly regular basis and I wondered if this was possibly one reason some people

don't stay at Bethel.

Yes, no, sort of. Supposedly your closet is supposed to be off limits to housekeepers. So if you want to hide something, your closet is the best bet. However, I did hear of some that were busted for something found in their closet. Maybe a heavy metal or rap album, or an R rated movie. SHOCKING!!!

There is very little privacy at bethel. When someone gets married at bethel, they sit down with an overseer to go over some special rules for them. They are not to be affectionate in public, so as to not stir up the horny boys. Bethel is a pressure cooker for horny bethelites. I'm not sure if it was just a rumor or not, but supposedly the overseer was supposed to tell them about not making any noise during sex so as to not disturb others. The walls are very thin and you can hear everything that goes on in the next room.

When my roomates and I got too busy in the morning sometimes we'd stash our dirty dishes under the sink. That also was supposed to be off limits for housekeepers. I would only do the dirty dishes trick once in a while, but I had a filthy roomate that did it ALL the time. When I first got to bethel my other roomates (I had 3 of em) said that he'd been doing it for a while and the dishes under the sink had been there for months.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

"I heard a rumor that they search people's belongings in Bethel on a fairly regular basis"

I would say that this is not true/misleading, but that the general sentiment is based upon truth. See below.

What is true is that if they have reason to suspect you have some type of contraband, they will most certainly go through your things. However, you will be there when they do it. Further, it has been the case that if the housekeeper sees something (that is left in plain site, or is visible inside a drawer when she is dusting) she will most definitely contact the Home Overseer, etc.

But, it's not true that people secretly invade your room and look through your stuff.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Further, it has been the case that if the housekeeper sees something (that is left in plain site, or is visible inside a drawer when she is dusting) she

will most definitely contact the Home Overseer, etc.

That's technically supposed to be the rule, but I'd heard stories of housekeepers finding things in the closet. It never happened to me, but I've heard a few stories.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Leaving WT:

Well, that's a comforting thought that they don't "secretly" do it, like a burglar, but I am still not cool with the idea that they feel they have a right to even make a request of me because they were "suspicious".

• cult classic
    cult classic

One of the housekeepers on the floor I worked practically made a game out of discovering things in the single guys' rooms. The overseer was on our floor inspecting on a regular basis.

I told this story a while ago. Our housekeeper (who we were on good terms with) would call me from time to time asking if I would be home for lunch. We let her use our room to chill out in during lunchtime. One day she called and asked if she could borrow my french books that she'd noticed on the very top shelf inside our walk-in closet. Another time she called and asked if she could borrow my hair conditioner because it smelled so good.

Then yet another time she called the home overseer on us because I left more than 3 decorative items out. I should have told her to put the extra items away while she was snooping around our room.

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

RULES RULES RULES that made no sense at all. If you went to lunch, you could not wear your work clothes (unless your work was in an office). Now I'm not talking about going to bethel lunch, I'm talking if you went to burger king or Andy's Chinese Place or the like. You literally had to change into a dress shirt and slacks to get some Sweet and Sour Pork from a regular place!

Some of the GB was kind, some were not. I met Sydlik many times and he was kind on all but one of them, and that once, he was just short with me, maybe a bad day, so I have no problem with him. Jarecz was notrorious for his cruel demeanor. I was waiting for someone to pick me up to go to a Yankees game outside of 124 CH and was wearing nice jeans, a skater shirt with no real logo and tennis shoes and he looked at me like I was a satan worshipper.

Wheb you are new, you are scum. I had an overseer, AB who took notes of EVERYTHING. He timed how long you went to the bathroom and wrote it down. I went back to my locker to get a pencil for work and he wrote it down (you had to ask permission yes). Constantly yelling at you to go faster and be perfect. In my department they kept track of EVERY mistake you made. We gathered literature orders and were always rushing and sweating, and if you grabed 24 brochures instead of 25, it got written down and if you made more than two mistakes in a work period, you wre going to get your ass chewed. They tried to break you.

Home overseers, yup. You can only have three items on a piece of furniture, so a lamp, a plant, and a picture of your mom and that's about it. Anymore, and your home overseer calls you to your room and shows you from the book that its against policy. They spy on your stuff. I know plenty of guys who got kicked out for CD's, books, video games, ect. Not one of them left these items out, and their roomates didn't turn them it. Home overseers go through your stuff. I had a magazine subscription that I had for free, it went out of business, and they automatically upgraded me to some hip-hop magazine and soon as it came in, the mail room overseer called me and told me that they were going to cancel it if I planned on staying in bethel.

The GQ thing was real, pretty much as described, I knew 4 of the brooklyn guys involved and it absolutely destroyed them to go home ashamed for this.

You better have your ass in that breakfast seat at 7 on the dot or your gonna get a lecture.

There is no HR department. If you don't like the way stuff is going, there's the door. If you have an idea about how something should be done and you havent been there ten years, STFU, we have been doing it this way a long time, if there was a better way we would have thought about it already, how dare you question the arrangements JEHOVAH has put in place?

To many chiefs and not enough indians. So many overseers, constantly bugging you about everything you can imagine. If you want to change congregations, it requires an act of Congress, I mean the Branch Committee.

If you get in trouble (I did) your judicial committee is picked by them. Of my three brothers, one of them had never met me before, one had been my table head for 2 weeks, and one had known me for three months. Out of the hundreds of elders I knew at bethel, a major life issue that had to be decided was done by people who did not know me at all? Why would they show mercy when they can just say goodbye and never think about it again. I made a minor, minicule mistake, and I was treated like a nailed a GB members wife. Went back to my hall as a ordinary publisher, with everyone asking "why would you ever leave bethel? Its like paradise?"

The constant backsliding and changes to suit their needs. When you are new, they tell you bethel is the place to be and that you should never leave. You are guilt tripped if you mention you are considering leaving and told that there is NOTHING more important than bethel. My department head told me once when I told him I was considering leaving that my job was more important than anything I could ever do in the org outside of bethel, be it pioneering, elder, CO, whatever (yes he said this). Two years later they were extending the priveledge of pioneering to many "lifers" people who had been in bethel 30, 40, 50 years and telling them to pound sand.

When I asked for a job reference letter it said "puffthedragon worked here for five years, he was dilligent and punctual." the end. Glad I was so valued.

Don't think I was a screw-up either. I did go out and party hard, and it caught up with me, but I was a extremely hard worker and moved up in my department fast because I learned how to play by the rules and the politics but it destroyed me on the inside.

I was miserable, but felt trapped, you are programmed that it is shameful to leave for any reason, I wanted to quit at least once a month but just couldn't. When I came home, I was not a servant, but was still in good standing and could be on the school and such. People asked me if I missed it and would ever go back and were shocked when I said NO. The only thing I missed about it were my friends. I could write a book. My heart-rate is increasing just thinking about it, so maybe its time to stop for now.

About the dwelling manual, it is available online if you google it, I've seen it on ebay, and I still have mine. Don't know why I still keep it, maybe as a reminder to myself.

If anyone read this far, sorry for the rant.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I made a minor, minicule mistake, and I was treated like I nailed a GB members wife.

Made me laugh, puff!!! Yeah, I read the whole thing. Funny, we've been talking about bethel for a couple days, but reading yours brought back a lot of feelings and memories. I was a skater before going to bethel, and I had to get all new clothes. Except my family didn't send me money, so all my clothes came from donated...

• sir82
    sir82
    My department head told me once when I told him I was considering leaving that my job was more important than anything I could ever do in the org outside of bethel, be it pioneering, elder, CO, whatever (yes he said this). Two years later they were extending the priveledge of pioneering to many "lifers" people who had been in bethel 30, 40, 50 years and telling them to pound sand.

Yep. We got a couple of Bethelites who were on the life-track about 4 or 5 years ago - mid 50's, had been there 25 or so years. Suddenly it was out-the-door, you're too much of a risk to our self-insurance, keep warm and well-fed, see ya.

You can still see the Bethel imprint on everything they do, in and out of the congregation.

• cult classic
    cult classic

I had relatives in Bethel before I went. And yet I signed up for the privilege.

But one of the things that always bothered me is the tension in the shoulders of the Bethelites. Always rushing around. Always stressed out with their assignments from Jehovah. These assignments are supposed to be blessings from God and yet they can be snatched away if you don't kiss the right ass at the right time.

Also, the hierarchy at bethel does not care for nor respect their young. These young kids leave their families, friends, and part-time jobs to slave away at Bethel and most of them are viewed as dispensable. It takes years to prove your worth and dedication as a single Bethelite. Despite all you have sacrificed to get there.

Shameful.

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

Always stressed out with their assignments from Jehovah. These assignments are supposed to be blessings from God and yet they can be snatched away if you don't kiss the right ass at the right time.

Hit the nail on the head.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit