Is the Old Testament a book about the Divine delivering Eternal Truths?

by ClubSandwich 17 Replies latest jw friends

• ClubSandwich
    ClubSandwich

Most of what Jehovah’s Witnesses “know” about the Hebrew Bible, more commonly referred to as the “Old Testament” or the “Hebrew Scriptures,” is simply “not so.”

They know much that “ain’t so” because they live in an insulated world where their references to it are prolific, giving them a false sense of familiarity.

They also know too little because they’ve allowed others to read and interpret it for them through the filtering lens of an unchallenged theology. Their “knowledge” is based on misconceptions created by their own rigid theology.

But what about you, "Do you think the Old Testament is a book about the Divine delivering eternal truths?"

• Satanus
    Satanus

No, i can't think of any. No divine truths, there.

S

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Way too much rape and baby killing for my taste.

Then again, maybe it could be viewed as god's way of saying "Bad stuff happens. Better get used to it."

• ClubSandwich
    ClubSandwich

Satanus, but how do you know? Do you personally have a link with the Divine? Or is it something you read in the Anti-Watchtower? I've heard rumors that that filthy phamplet is now circulating the internet. Or did you hear it from your undercover agent at Bethel?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

No, it is a collection of books predateing the collection of books called the New Testiment. Niether of which deliver divine truth, as their is no divine truth only claims of divine truth.

As Pilot said "what is truth"? it is a label that means many thing to many people, to some it is as simple as "your word is truth" a paradoxical juxtaposition with no real meaning except in the gulibility of the individual.

• ClubSandwich
    ClubSandwich

MrFreeze, just because you've read the book doesn't mean you have to spoil it for those who haven't. Let them find out on their own about selling wives, a deity who is challenged by human nature and spoiled brats who don't have a clue about social justice.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Clubsandwich

'Satanus, but how do you know? Do you personally have a link with the Divine?'

Actually, there is no divine, like the biblegod. The source, our source is indescribable, really. So, true divine words are impossible. And, yes i do. So does everyone.

S

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Sorry Club Sandwich, should have noted that my post contained spoilers.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

If there was/is, god being ok with genocide and child sacrifice pretty much makes it moot.

• ClubSandwich
    ClubSandwich

If there are any eternal truths, some folks say there are but can't remember where, I would be most grateful to know what they are. Could some kind-hearted person help point me in the right direction? I have searched long and hard, but I haven't found any as yet. However, keep in mind that I'm a little slow. Way too much misinformation clogs my mental arteries.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit