"Gossip is the opiate of the oppressed."

by IMHO 8 Replies latest jw friends

• IMHO
    IMHO

A quote attributed to Erica Jong in the Toronto Globe and Mail.

Interesting quote. Is that why there's such a big problem with gossip amongst JW's?

• steve2
    steve2

I'd tend to agree. Powerless people have to find a safe way to cope with their frustrations and lack of autonomy. What better way than to become overly caught up in the lives of others and/or verbalizing one's displeasure (i.e., moaning and groaning?

By contrast, powerful people don't need to gossip or complain - they have the resources to effect change and solve their problems and hence can minimize the impact of frustrations.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Maybe. But I don't believe that JW's are any different than any other "group" of people regarding gossip.

Gossip comes in all manners, forms, shapes and sizes. Everyone says that they don't gossip, but no one ever says they don't like to "hear it".

But, gossip is hurtful and not constructive. And most of the time there a sprinkling of truth and a whole lot of conjecture.

• jgnat
  • rebel8
    rebel8

Not only do they take joy in the troubles of others, it's a way for them to gain power by ruining the credibility (and therefore the influence and maybe even the success) of others.

It's what lowlife scumbags do.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Good point, Rebel8. Gossip is a petty power play among JWs. I recall it being pretty malicious at times.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Unhappy people with self esteem issues tend to be the ones who gossip. A friend of mine told me that bitterness is addictive. Bitterness is addictive because it makes a person feel superior. Gossip usually involves some bitterness.

• prologos
    prologos

but gossip is also a tool to use power. Knowledge is power, and who has more illgotten knowledge than the scd"Elders" and their meddling spouses? so: gossipers show their power and maintain it among their friends. (to the exclusion of the "outsiders"). gossip is an all-around tool in the right hands er mouths.

Can you keep a secret? so can I!. peace.

• eva luna
    eva luna

On some levels, in the US , we have become a cultur of gossip.

People Magizine , when it first came out , I remember thinking it's basicly gossip. I like to watch CNN, they have Showbiz Tonight on their alternate channel. Basicly gossip. THe Daily Mail in the UK, tons of gossip.

Most of the reality shows are fueled by gossip.

When I was a kid during the 70's, I could miss school if I went in service . I usually ended up with the pioneer sister, very nice ladies, but man did I get an ear full about everyones life in the Hall.

So gossip is now entertainment. Where's the Pipe? :-(

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit