Mormon leaders reach out to gays, lesbian. I,am shocked!!

by jam 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jam
    jam

Mormon leaders made their most signifcant outreach

yet to gays and lesbians, unveiling a new website Thursday

that encourages church members to be more compassionate

in discussions about homosexuality.

Mormons who are not in same-sex relationships can have "full

fellowship in the church", including holding the priesthood(say what)

and participating in temple rituals-privilege reserved only for

church members in good standing. Bless their hearts, they are trying.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

thats horrible if true, but it does not suprise me! they are a cult same as jw.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Bless their hearts, they are trying.

Yes, they are. But why is that so surprising? We’ve never taught hate towards homosexuals, but rather, compassion. In fact, the church has never taught hatred against anyone. I watch every LDS Conference (twice a year), and I’ve never heard our leaders teach that gays would be damned to an eternal hell, not resurrected or that they weren’t loved by God. At the same time, they cannot condone their actions or their lifestyles. So yes, providing they refrain from homosexual acts, they can be members in good faith and fellowship, partake of the sacramental emblems, hold the priesthood, receive their endowments in the temple and enjoy all the blessings of church membership.

That’s horrible if true, but it does not surprise me! They are a cult, same as JWs.

What's horrible if true? That LDS leaders are trying to be more compassionate? Or are you advocating that the church accept their lifestyles as well? As for us being a cult, that’s fair. First Century Christianity was a cult as well, at least as the Romans saw it.

• jam
    jam

Cold ; I would suggest you read the article.

The Associated press.

Church officials also posted video testimony from

Latter-day Saints who struggled with the issue, either

through having gay children or realizing they were gay.

The issue is particularly challenging for Latter-day Saints,

who believe that Mormons in good standing spend eternity

togather with their families. A family member who leaves

the church, a common occurrence for gay and lesbian Mormons,

will remain separated from their relatives.

Sounds like JW.s to me. Doesn,t sound like gays and lesbians

was welcome with open arms.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

A “cult” initially was a religious group or institution that was based on another religion but which added to it. Thus, ancient Christianity was based on the Law of Moses, but claimed to fulfill, or supplant, it with the coming of Christ. It kept the scriptures, but added its own scriptures to it. And though the LDS church is based on ancient Christianity, it does not supplant it; however, it does add scriptures to its canon that other Christians don’t have.

I am well versed in LDS doctrine and policy, and I’m aware of the social and theological issues facing homosexuals. The church made some awful mistakes in the past by implementing programs dreamed up by psychiatrists in the 70s and 80s. Such programs involved barbaric shock and other therapies which not only didn’t work, but added substantially to the psychological well being of those subjected to it. These therapies were carried out with the consent of the subjects, but was a horrible mistake.

In recent years, the church has emphasized sexual abstinence as the primary recourse for homosexuals.

Regarding the sealing of LDS families for eternity in temples, the church realizes that retention of homosexuals is a problem. Many homosexuals leave the church on their own volition and, of course, the church is bound to comply with such requests. We also realize that God is a God of immense compassion and mercy. Certainly he will temper justice and mercy, taking every component of our lives into consideration when judging us. As for sealing and families are concerned, we don’t believe that we cease to exist at death. Many things that aren’t completed in this life are rectified in the next. One reason for a Millennium is to tie up all the loose ends throughout the ages. Many people who in life never heard the gospel message will hear it in the Spirit World and, as Peter said, “that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.” (See 1 Peter 3:18-20, 4:6)

After death, many homosexuals will continue to work out their salvation and their deviancies. In the resurrection, there will be no imperfections and all men/women will be perfect. Those holding the keys of binding in Heaven and on Earth will work with those on the other side of the Veil to achieve the joining of families all the way back to Adam. Again, there will be no denial of resurrections or eternal suffering in a burning hell. Life on Earth is not supposed to be easy, but we LDS believe we’ve been preparing for it for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. Homosexuality, chronic pain, genetic imperfections, and all the problems of mortality will eventually be worked out.

Again, Peter wrote: “ Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: b ut rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.” (4:12-13) And: “Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.” (4:16) The whole idea was that a man “no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.” (4:2)

All of the above may sound “cultish,” but so too did the gospel of Christ challenge every facet of what the ancient apostles believed about their world. In fact, Jesus remained for 40 days after his resurrection teaching the apostles and others of his disciples the “mysteries” of the Kingdom of God. And none of it was written down or conveyed to future generations. In fact, in a number of recently translated extrabiblical accounts, the references tend to involve the coming apostasy, the fate of the apostles and the sealing of families and the dead.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Cold Steel - I think we Mormons are responsible for lots of hate speech , we just called it 'loving guidance from the Lord.' I received the "To Young Men Only " guide when I was in youth and it contained such 'gems' as this:

“It was intended that we use this power only with our partner in marriage. I repeat, very plainly, physical mischief with another man is forbidden. It is forbidden by the Lord.
    “There are some men who entice young men to join them in these immoral acts. If you are ever approached to participate in anything like that, it is time to vigorously resist.
    “While I was in a mission on one occasion, a missionary said he had something to confess. I was very worried because he just could not get himself to tell me what he had done.
    “After patient encouragement he blurted out, ‘I hit my companion.’
    “ ‘Oh, is that all,’ I said in great relief.
    “ ‘But I floored him,” he said.
    “After learning a little more [his companion was gay], my response was ‘Well, thanks. Somebody had to do it, and it wouldn’t have been well for a General Authority to solve the problem that way.’
    “I am not recommending that course to you, but I am not omitting it. You must protect yourself.”

1976 General Authority , Boyd K Packer. Pamphlet for Young Men.

Edit: Just to add - as things stand he's next in line to lead the church.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

i think i misread the op anyway, to me it does not matter either way,i think mormons are nice people,who are in a cult with very false doctrine.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Mormons will change any doctrine necessary to protect their holdings. Remember multiple wives? Now once again times have changed and they see the hand writing on the wall ........ poll numbers have indicated that people have moved past the issue of same sex marriage and the Supreme court is ready to hear the case on the basis of protecting civil rights (re being able to recieve the same protections under the law that married couples do).

Like Jw's Mormons are just another corporation trying to sell a product.

• designs
    designs

Gio- So true. After the Election many of these conservative groups have stuck their fingers in the air to see which way the social winds are blowing. Its all about 'marketing' and how to get dues paying members.

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

I believe it's all about the money. I don't know what financial crises the mormons are In if any, but this might be the cause.

Iam sure the WTB&TS will one day do the same as a last ditch effort to save the CULT. And it will surprise everyone.

Kojack

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit