Fall of Giants---Ken Follet

by ldrnomo 16 Replies latest social current

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    What are your thoughts? Do you think life is a cycle that can't be changed? Or do we somehow have an impact in some way? Will governments continue to become more opressive or will there be a move to an Anarchical Society.

I don't think it's necessarily a cycle that can't be changed; I think it's an ongoing struggle. There will always be the self serving, the ignorant, the craven, the corrupt............But there will also be the brave, the thinkers, the principled, and the virtuous. The balance tips back and forth, the tools change, but the struggle continues. Personally I think the overall trajectory is a positive one.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    I've read his Pillars of Creation. It was OK.

Are you talking about Pillars of the Earth, or the Terry Goodkind book?

I loved Pillars of the Earth when I read it.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I think humans learn to deal w the larger information stream. They slowly learn to strain out the good info from the bad. Self interest rules, always. Generally, good info benefits the individual, in the long run, so good info should win out. Guess, i'm a closet optimist.

S

• jgnat
    jgnat

I posted this five months ago,

Albert Schweitzer maintained that skepticism in one's own ability to reach conclusions is the bane of our age. From "Out of My Life and Thought" he says, "The organized political social, and religious associations of our time are at work convincing the individual not to develop his own convictions through his own thinking but to assimilate the ideas they present to him. Any man who thinks for himself is to them inconvenient and even ominous.

...Corporate bodies....try to achieve the greatest possible uniformity....

Man today is exposed throughout his life to influences that try to rob him of all confidence in his own thinking....

The spirit of the age never lets him find himself...

...man of today is forced in to skepticism about his own thinking, so that he may become receptive to what he receives from authority. He cannot resist this influence because he is overwored, distracted, and incapable of concentrating....moern man no longer has any confidence in himself. Behind a self-assured exterior he conceals an inner lack of confidence. In spite of his great technogical achievements and material possessions, he is an altogether stunted being because he makes no use of his capacity for thinking....To renounce thinking is to declare mental bankruptcy....

To blindly accept a truth one has never reflected upon redards the advance of reason. Our world rots in deceit. Our very attempt to manipulate truth itself brings us to the brink of disaster."

Schweitzer goes on to say that once institutions let the skepticism genie out of the bottle, first convincing society that it cannot govern itself, that skepticism runs rampant, and people have no faith in the institutions who purport to serve them.

I would say that Schweitzer was prophetic on this point.

• jgnat
    jgnat

So where does mankind go from here? Is it all just a cycle? Is history still continuing to repeat itself? Will it always be this way?

I heard a Ted speaker who suggested that the cycle of rise and fall is not a given, and is a holdover from the greek philosophers who saw the inevitable patterns in nature as divine, unassailable.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

zeb:

Yes I agree, the web is a game changer and of course we are already seeing it’s affects in the world and for many of us in our own lives.

BluePill2:

Excellent thoughts thanks “ we have this evolving-adaptive mind system and eventually we change.” So true

flipper:

History does seem to repeat itself and I’m hoping that enough people now influenced by all the information they have access too will affect mankind’s overall outcome. And I agree that there is only so much we can control. Peace to you my friend. I’m hoping to see you next summer at Tahoe.

Berengaria:

Good thought, it is an ongoing struggle or as I prefer to call it, ongoing process.

Glander:

I know what you mean about the book having a lot of soapy drama and also I thought the circumstances were a bit unbelievable however it kept my attention and taught me some things about history.

Cadellin:

Yes there was a lot of violence in this book, it is about war, the big one with fighting in trenches and dead rotting bodies and rats eating human remains and....I hope your not getting sick to your stomach reading this.

zeb:

I agree with you that “the new game is to use your brain and personal sense of decency to do the sorting.” I hope that’s what I’m now doing now that I don’t have the mental constraints that the Watchtower placed upon me.

• Glander
    Glander

LoisLane - you have a PM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit