Einstein and Religion - with considerations of "Human Free Will"

by james_woods 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    But Psac, I think you are missing my point. The relative morality of believing Satan or God is irrelevant to the issue: Was Adam destined to eat the fruit simply by the way the human brain had been created? In other words - was it inevitable that his curiosity (once aroused by Satan) would eventually get the better of him just because humans are wired that way? Or, his desire to know both good and evil?

The bible states that it was their desire to be like God.

And yes, being created in Gods image you would think that wanting to be like God would be sort of "hardwired" BUT so would the understanding of right and wrong so the choice was made and they were free to NOT make it.

The bible is really silent on whether or not this is the case - and if Adam were indeed wired to sin (so to speak), then he did not truly have free will. He might have pondered on it, agitated about it, and so on - but if he was inevitably driven to eat the fruit, then that falls short of having free will.

The only time free will would be called into question is IF the human consience was "hotwired" to be a certain way, in which case we wouldn't be aware of doing the opposite anyways.

Whenever there is a choice, there is an exercise in free will.

The choices may suck, but YOU decide which one of them you will choose.

If we are hard wired to choose only one then we wouldn't even be aware of the option to choose another, would we?

• james_woods
    james_woods

Would Einstein have discovered E=Mc2 if they had not wanted to be like God?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I disagree because she HAD been forewarned by God, so she CHOOSE to evert her free will and side with the "serpent", go against God's command and warning and that is, IMO, the classical example of free will.

God was the one not telling the truth in that example.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Would Einstein have discovered E=Mc2 if they had not wanted to be like God?

Now that IS a godo question.

How much have humans progressed BECAUSE of their WANT to be "like God" ie: to know ALL there is to know.

I think that if humans had not fallen ( a huge IF of course) we probably would be further ahead because we would NOT be hampered by so much that we have done wrong ( wars, destryoing the environment, animal extinction, etc), I think that Einstein would NOT have discovered his theories because they would have been discovered already.

I guess it kind of comes down to which view you think can help man progress the fastest, the Vorlon or the Shadows ;) LOL

Of course in our current state we CAN progress regardless but the issue is at what cost.

• Terry
    Terry

Nothing is anything without the disambiguation of a "nature".

Otherwise everything is everything instead of something and ultimately THE thing which isn't everything else.

Now if that sounds like gobblety-gook it's only because you didn't bother to read it carefully.

What a human is follows the nature of what it is to be human.

It cannot be other.

Consider the implication of being a CREATED human as opposed to an evolved human.

The nature a created human has is GIVEN due to intentionality. The creator wills that nature upon the creature.

What escape from nature is there?

To desire to be other than what you are when what you are is god-determined has enormous importance to our understanding.

The religious story that imposes a condition of ambitious greed on humanity is a curious one, indeed.

Man desires to be LIKE god for a reason: Knowledge. After all, the tree upon which the fruit grows is the Tree of Knowledge. Of what?

Knowledge is not a juice or a pulp but an experienced reality.

Virginity is not ignorance of the sex act. Virginity is ignorance of the experience of the sex act.

Man's nature is not one of compliant ignorance. Homo sapien means something. See that "sapien"? What does it mean? It means: WISE.

Ignorance of experience is not wise.

A created being has no history.

A created being has no family.

A created being merely exists as the thing made; no better and no worse.

But, the other alternative is the one Evolution describes as a "work in progress". Progress is always defined as survival in the face of change.

Man must eat. Eating poison is not wise. Experiencing death is not knowledge because that knowledge cannot be useful for survival.

Everything that the evolved man IS (the NATURE of man) is a RESULT of millions of survivals in an unbroken chain of experience.

For lower animals the "experience" is retained as instinct.

For homo sapien it is not. WHY?

How useful is instinct for survival that obviously worked for ancestors passing on a gene? Success literally BREEDS success.

What does an instinctive creature lack? Free Will.

Homo sapien is free of instinct and has broken free of "determined" patterns of behavior only in so far as man innovates.

What has man innovated for himself? The imagination to see himself as willed into existence as a Free creature whose source is a caring God.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Two points to extend on what Terry wrote:

Man is partly innovative, but still partly instinctive. We did not innovate our fear of heights or appreciation of rational integer musical tone combinations. Those are wired in from birth.

Secondly - do we all acknowledge that we are debating a non-literal myth (in the case of the biblical Adam & Eve and the Tree of Knowledge)?

Psac?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Two points to extend on what Terry wrote:

An excellent point that Terry brought up.

Man is partly innovative, but still partly instinctive. We did not innovate our fear of heights or appreciation of rational integer musical tone combinations. Those are wired in from birth.

Typically yes.

Secondly - do we all acknowledge that we are debating a non-literal myth (in the case of the biblical Adam & Eve and the Tree of Knowledge)?
    Psac?

I don't think we can debate a "myth", at best we can express what they myth story means to us and how we interpret it.

It's not a right or wrong thing.

In regards to Terry's view, as I posted on his thread, why not BOTH?

Why not both created AND evolved?

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Why not both created AND evolved?

Many have asked this, but it is a topic better taken up on a thread like Terry's new one - Evolved or Created Humans of this morning.

Einstein, from my understanding, would have said man is both created (by the impersonal cosmic creation) and evolved (by natural processes over millions of years).

None of this, however, goes to the central point of this thread: Does true human "free will" exist? (which Einstein denies)

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    None of this, however, goes to the central point of this thread: Does true human "free will" exist? (which Einstein denies)

Hey, you lead us here, LOL !
    ;)

I think that Einstein failed to define free will and that may be the issue.

If free will is the capacity to choose, then free will exists.

EX: If someone points a gun at your head and tells you to choose A, it may seem that you have no choice or free will to do otherwise but that is not true, you may have LIMITED free will but you can choose to do something other than A.

The hardwiring view is a bit more complex because you take the external infuelnce and internalize it, makng the "motivation" more difficult BUT I submit that IF we are hardwired for A, then we would only KNOW A and not B, C or D.

That we know more than A makes me think that we are not hardwired.

• kepler
    kepler

JW:

Was thinking about what you were driving at…

------

“I really meant this thread to be about Einstein's religion and philosophy rather than science issues.

One thing I wanted to make clear was that when Einstein said "God does not play dice with the universe" - he was absolutely NOT talking about an anthropomorphic creator like the JW "Jehovah".

He meant the cosmic order of the universe itself - the orderly progression of everything.

Einstein's god was neither a "creator" nor an "interventionist" in human affairs….

Classicly speaking (judeo-christian speak) - not every decision IS free will, but COULD BE free will.

For example - the New Testament hint that Eve's decision to eat the forbidden fruit was the result of trickery (thus NOT free will), but the suggestion that it COULD have been free will (like Adam's choice) if she had not been fooled.

On the other hand, it brings up the thorny question: Did Eve use FREE WILL in allowing herself to BE fooled? Or

was she genuinely fooled without reflective thought - was she even capable of reflective thought on the subject? Or was she just too dumb to figure out the temptation?...

Thinking along these lines is causing me to seriously question the entire religious concept of "free will". I am starting to think (like Einstein did) that it is really just a logical excuse made by religious tradition for God's decision to punish the humans for something they were pretty much destined (and tempted) to do anyway.

Time for another weird essay.

My take on this is that we are quickly losing Einstein’s Judaeo/secular perspective on these things. As soon as we start talking Adam and Eve, everyone has lost Jewish or Hebrew religious perspectives altogether. It is assumed that every Jew of his day was looking at Hebrew scripture and Deuteronomy like Paul.

I am not Jewish, nor have I studied Judaism at any great length, but my immediate impression is this is not true. The book of Genesis introduces a talking snake and an angry God and then drops the whole subject within a chapter and does not bring it up again. Judaism is about a covenant between God and a people and a promised messiah could just as well be a political leader to reverse 600 years of rule by a succession of Neo-Babylonians, Persians, Greeks and Romans.

In the Old Testament, I don’t see evidence of anyone deliberating about how someone is going to reconcile a breech between God and man the result of Adam or Eve. That’s a Christian concept which in the NT is first brought up by Paul, or Saul of Tarsus. Imposing it on Einstein’s thinking is simply a cultural bias, much like E. M. Forster’s science fiction story about people living in abeyance of “The Machine” and deciding to teach the French Revolution like it occurred in its era. I would not rule out that Genesis has some bearing on Einstein’s thinking, but since it does not seem to have as much consequence to Judaism as interviews given to Abraham and Moses, I would not rule out Einstein’s notions about free will based as much on his views about classical mechanics and reservations implications of statistical and quantum mechanics. Natural philosophy: if you can’t predict which atom is going to do a beta decay, but the isotope decays at a fixed rate, how do you explain that?

When speaking of “God playing dice with the universe”, I believe that there is a certain amount of truth to you assertion above. If Einstein is corresponding with physicists that is the idea he wishes to convey, the underlying principles of nature, anthropomorphic or more likely otherwise, which make things run. Since a steady state and a big-bang universe were arguable issues in his life, it is hard to say whether he was hung up on first causes, since the issue seemed to be more a question of whether he introduced a constant into equations of cosmology. Had he left things with no constant indicative of expansion, as he sometimes thought he should have, his physical view would have argued for a universe that had been around forever. Lemaitre and Hubble seemed to have had some influence on him. Because I don’t think there were too many people who speculated on that scenario much save for Fred Hoyle and a couple of his colleagues.

But considering the fact that he might have been regarded as another Spinoza, a pantheist or an agnostic, Einstein was active in what could be loosely described as Zionist causes. Having an ethnic promised land but no one specifically to consult about the promise - That is a conundrum in and of itself.

Maybe the god of Spinoza stepped out of character now and then?

But if he did, it was not necessarily perceived in Christian terms. If we really are on topic, then perhaps we should back up or take a reading of what Judaism said to Einstein rather than re-interpret his sacred texts for him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit