Jehovah's Witnesses and the BETTER mousetrap

by Terry 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• moshe
    moshe

In the runup to 1975, I remember a young pioneer couple who place a couple hundred magazines a month- of course the pioneer hours were 2x higher than today- they really pushed those books and magazines out to the public back then-- it was a life saving work, folks!!

• Terry
    Terry

By the way Terry if you ever get around to publishing all your thoughts and comments in one book put me down for one I find your posts really excellent.

About 6 years ago I wrote a book, "I Wept by the Waters of Babylon". It was about my early JW days and my stint in Federal Prison because of the so-called JW neutrality policy.

I never published it.

Years later I went back and read it. I think it stinks. Seriously.

I have no knack for brevity:)

• Terry
    Terry

In the runup to 1975, I remember a young pioneer couple who place a couple hundred magazines a month- of course the pioneer hours were 2x higher than today- they really pushed those books and magazines out to the public back then-- it was a life saving work, folks!!

In the Louvre is a special vault with 15 miles of shelves containing medical treatises, cures, treatments, speculations, procedures from time immemorial. Now the fascinating aspect of all these state-of-the-art manuals and documents is that they are scientifically BOGUS!

Without the germ theory of disease, without x-rays or MRI's, without the microscope---the finest hypothetical "modern" treatments were crap.

Most were dangerous or deadly!

The vaults in the Louvre memorialize man's energetic and ambitious failures while clawing his way out of the darkness of ignorance toward life-saving data supremely useful and predictably safe.

Human knowledge is gradual, incremental and faltering.

Yet, how elegantly these medical texts mirror the blind efforts of the Watchtower's Governing Body as they "channeled" Jehovah's directives

for LIFE-SAVING texts enthusiastically peddled door to door!

How embarrassingly non-divine they really were!

All those clarion toxin bells ringing out Armageddon storm warnings through the early 1900's on up through the 60's and 70's and the abjectly

disastrous FLOP of 1975!

The Watchtower's thousands and thousands of books and magazines were exactly like those moldy and feckless medical books ensconced in the Louvre: A testimony to what man thought he knew but really did not.

Are we really to admire all that for "meat in due season"? "Food at the proper time"?

Or, should we not immediately grasp what an F-ing waste of people's time it all was???

• moshe
    moshe
    About 6 years ago I wrote a book, "I Wept by the Waters of Babylon".----I have no knack for brevity:)

Terry it sounds like you wrote a whale of a tale and so did Herman Melville- 1946 pages of Moby Dick's whale hunting and the art of whale blubber rendering. The book critics seemed to love all the extra fine detail about how whale oil came to be, otherwise it wouldn't be a classic, right?- so there is hope for you too, Terry.

(for the record moshe has never completed reading Moby Dick- preferring the Cliff Notes version, instead)

• Terry
    Terry

The problem with my book was that I find personal revelation to be excruciating!

So, I changed my name to a fictional name and wrote it more objectively so I could distance myself better.

That way I could say some pretty intimate and unsavory things. Well, the only thing that makes a memoir work is

the voice of the actual person. So, I defeated my own intention.

By fictionalizing a true account into a story the usefulness of my experience evaporated into prose.

Call me Ishmael!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit