From a "Chance" to "Evolution"

by Yan Bibiyan 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

I just noticed today a monumental shift in the Awake (well, not really monumental ).

In the "Was it Designed" section, the closing paragraph up until the April 2012 issue reads:

"Did the (studied subject) come about by chance? Or was it designed?"

Since April 2012 it reads: "Did the (studied subject) come about by evolution? Or was it designed?"

Is the WT now hardline against evolution, admitting that the possibility of a chance still exists?

Anyone else noticed that..or do I have too much time in my hands

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

glad you keeping up with jehovahs charit. it can go anywhere any time.

• sizemik
    sizemik

"Chance" is a misleading term anyway . . . it carries a maybe/maybe not, B&W connotation.

Randomness is a better description. The mechanisms of evolution do not come about by chance . . . they are a constant. It is simply the variables on which the mechanisms operate that have a certain degree of "chance" or randomness, but even those random possibilities are confined by the mechanisms . . . and continue subject to them.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Even the "chance" in JW lingo has a mislead connotation.

They say chance is a single TNT-like explosion came to a Taj Mahal.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Interesting. . .

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

It's all carefully crafted language designed to make connections and implications in the minds of the readers. We all know that in this context "chance" equates to "evolution" therefore abiogenesis (which is never acknowledged by the WTS) and all the aspects of evolution (especially naturual selection) are consigned to this abstract concept without having to mention the actual terms.

For the R&F pub everything becomes random chance and therefore how could every wonderful aspect of nature have come about by millions and millions of repeated chance events?

• sir82
    sir82

I suspect it was because they finally got it through their thick skulls that the theory of evolution does not even come remotely close to saying that changes occur "by chance".

By constantly saying "by chance" it was about as blatant a straw-man argument as is conceivable.

One of the few remaining Bethel heavies who retain a handful of firing synapses must have finally convinced them to change it.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

I think that we might be reading too much into the word swap...

By chance it was that the writer in the Editorial Department (There is no more 'writing department' aren't you keeping up with new light?) felt like using a different word for evolution. What are the chances he will swap back to the other on the next one? We shall see.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit