How many JW's would get FIRED if the WT would be paying them to preach?

by fedup 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• fedup
    fedup

2011 preaching results:

Hours preached: 1.7B

New Baptized: 263K

If we do the math, it took about 6,464 hours of preaching to have 1 person baptized in 2011. An average publisher preaches about 10 hours per month, therefore, it takes 1 publisher almost 54 years of preaching to convert 1 person into a jw. This is without subtracting the jw's kids that may almost be half of the newly baptized.

Does the WT still write that door to door preaching is the most efficient way to spread the good news?

• cedars
    cedars

All these teenagers would have their asses fired, that's for sure....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN5aZxwnbjc

On a serious note, the baptisms per hours ratio is a remarkable statistic that keeps getting worse with each passing year. As I state in the article below, the figures you allude to basically mean that the amount of time required to lead a person from the doorstep to the baptism pool is 9 months of non-stop 24-hour preaching. Put simply, the time now required to bring people into the organization is now matching human gestation!

http://jwsurvey.org/cedars-blog/under-the-microscope-the-watch-tower-societys-claims-to-divine-direction-part-1

Cedars

• sir82
    sir82

Hah! Good question.

In my experience, at least 90% of the publishers, and probably 75% of pioneers, couldn't sell water in a drought.

Interesting corollary: What would Kingdom Hall attendance be if you had to pay to get in?

• pontoon
    pontoon

Despite a facade of joy, enthusiam, and zeal that some manage to display, I believe by far the vast majority don't want to be out there preaching, but do so for different reasons, guilted into it, please parents, please elders, support from parents (money, car) liking the alternative of getting a job less than preaching...... Growing up in the shadow of Brooklyn Bethel and spending my adult life near Wat Farm I have known 1000s of bethelites, some as good friends. Out of all of those 1000s (probably many 1000s) over a time period of 40+ years there were two couples that left Bethel because they loved and missed full time preaching so much. One prominate Bethel brother told me that Bethel was for all those that felt obligated to serve full time but can't stand the preaching work. I don't fault them, I did not like preaching. I would have derserved to be fired. But if it's what in your heart that counts most of us would be condemmed. How many pioneer's exceed their hours? If they used to do a hundred but now are only required to do seventy why aren't they still doing a hundred? Hard to exceed at a job that your heart and mind is just not into.

• sir82
    sir82
    support from parents (money, car)

Ain't that the truth!

In our "sister congregation", probably the wealthiest congregation in at least a hundred mile radius, the standard "career path" for JW kids graduating from high school is pioneering from the moment the diploma hits their hands.

They live at home and mommy and daddy subsidize them on all their little "theocratic adventures".

Need a "service car"? Done - here's the keys to your 2010 Acura RDX (a 2012 would be a bit too ostenatious).

Want to go to preach where the "need is greater"? Here's the moolah to cover your trip to the Dominican Republic for 3 months (can't get a tan or drink rum punch on the beach in GodForsaken Gulch, North Dakota, where there's a real need, now can you?).

Want to devote time to learning Chinese so you can join the "foreign language group"? Well, that's awfully time-consuming, learning a new language, so it's OK if you just get that 10 hour a week job at Starbucks. We'll cover all your expenses while you live at home.

Of course, it generally all comes crashing down when they get so horny they have to get married, and they're suddenly age 25 with no skills, no work ethic, and no money.

But hey, when you're 19, 25 is about 10,000 years away, and life is good now!

• fedup
    fedup

The numbers would be more realistic if the field reports were anonymous. Everyone would be more honest. But since all the judging from the elders and CO's are based on those reports, majority panic and show up on Saturday or Sunday mornings, even if it would be the last thing they would want to do. Fear of man is what propels this group more than fear of God.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Don't forget that the 6464 hours per baptism is actually understated. Many, if not most baptisms result from sources other than the door to door preaching. Lots of baptisms are of kids who were raised as JWs. Therefore, it takes much more than 6464 hours of field service to actually generate a baptism from door to door preaching. In my experience, the majority of new Witnesses were either raised as such, or contacted through other methods, such as "informal witnessing." I think it very likely that those actually brought in through the door to door work are a minority.

• cedars
    cedars

Good point NeonMadman.

Cedars

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

I am probably behind on this, but where is the preaching data coming from? Do we have the entire report with partakers, or this is a partial release?

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

...and they're suddenly age 25 with no skills, no work ethic, and no money

..and have absolutely no clue how to be in a relationship, because, you know, from the first peck on the lips to the sack is what a 3-4 hour wait (or until the wedding is over)....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit