windows 8

by panhandlegirl 19 Replies latest social entertainment

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I had to buy a new desk top cp and it has windows 8 installed. I had not even learned windows 7 yet. I'm not sure I like it. How about anyone else?

I was on the phone for > half a day trying it get my new netgear modum going. What a headache when your cp and internet go down, especially if

you don't know what you're doing. The internet is an essentil part of life.

PHG

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I use the product below, so that Windows 8 'feels' like Windows 7. I am not a fan of the native user interface of Windows 8.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

• talesin
    talesin

I have Win7. I have to say, I was not pleased with the new "Libraries"... it seems like in their effort to dumb us down, they are making things more and more complicated. DOH, I am QUITE capable of creating my own folders!

Good luck with it, PHG, and take Leaving's advice, he's a man who I feel "walks softly and carries a big stick"... ie, does not give advice or speak up, unless it's worthy of paying attention to.

xo

tal

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The confusion with Win. 8 comes in the way MS designed this OS to be either a desktop User Interface or a Touch Screen User Interface, with emphasis

on applying the Touch Screen UI predominantly. MS marketing gurus thought the Metro UI was going to please most consumers, they were wrong.

Leavingwt did point a good software program to convert Win. 8 back to most of the features to Win.7, by using it you should be able to use Win.8

with less annoyance. Start8 also lets you boot right into a typical desktop UI, bypassing Metro altogether.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SdW9tSXK3fM

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I upgraded to 8 on my laptop as I was running Vista and hate it. We have 7 on the desktop which I like. I've done like LWT and used Windows classic shell to bring the old start menu to the desktop. I've changed the program associations so for example, Windows 8 opens photos in this new metro app which I didn't like so I set them to open in Windows picture viewer instead.

• talesin
    talesin

They twist things up so that we NEED help with managing what should be the simplest thing. I truly feel that software manufacturers (lol, ummm BILL GATES, HELLO! the master of manipulation) create new systems that require us to ask for help so that it feeds more money into the system.

Can't figure out your new OS? Oh, just PAY someone to fix the eff'd up mess it has become.

tal

• moshe
    moshe

Win8 may turn out OK with some outside, help. But it has a flawed interface for most of us. . I liked Win7 very well and upgraded my 2006 computers two years ago.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I tried Win. 8 on a partition on my home desktop, realized the confusion and the things that had been taken out of Win.7

so I dumped it and kept Win.7. I think MS did this to intensionally attract attention to their recently introduced Surface Tablet.

The overwhelming majority of Win.xx users are Laptop and desktop users without a touch screen, so MS created its own

redundant and confusing OS for the sake of marketing other of their own products.

Thats why most professional ITs describe Win.8 the OS thats schizophrenic, confused knowing if its an OS for either

Keyboard and mouse or a Touch Screen.

• talesin
    talesin

so I dumped it and kept Win.7. I think MS did this to intensionally attract attention to their recently introduced Surface Tablet .

Yup... see what I'm sayin'?

grrr

t

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

By the way this is MS. way of competing with Apple and its success its been having with its IPhones and IPads.

My suggestion would be to pass on Win.8 or perhaps wait for a SP1 to address the confusion Metro has produced

and stick with Win.7 for now. The added learning curve, with the added frustration probably isn't worth the small

incremental improvements Win.8 has to offer.

If MS thinks that the majority of PC users are going to slowly move toward solely using a Touch Screen user interface

for personal and business environments they are sadly mistaken.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit