Recommended reading for Jehovah's witnesses and friends

by Healthworker 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Benjie
    Benjie

There is a very good book by William James, called something like "Varieities of Religious Experience".

My wife and I were advised to read this last year, and it helps to give us a broad view of how religious thought develops and how different people experience the concept of God. William James was not as far as I know a member of any particular church. At least, that is not how he writes. He was a philopopher or a psychologist, I forget which.

• Healthworker
  • ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

It's hard to recommend any other books currently than Ray Franz's books.

I read the book "I am perfect and your not" and wanted to puke due to her less than honest book! Other books I came across again, we need to recommend books we know are not lying, what if a book say's crazy shit like "JWs would dress in black on Sunday and close all their windows (We don't have windows in most Kingdom Halls) and perform a Satan offering with a baby sacrifice? Would we post it as a good read to get revenge with the Watchtower Society even though we know it's a lie or call it a heaping pile of pig shit?

One reason Ray's books have hit so close to home, is his ability to relay everything that took place, he has kept incredible records, was in a position nobody else has been at.

Ray Franz makes the comments why so many anti-JWs fail to gain traction, when you are claiming how bad a Organization is and your conduct is not stellar, people will find out the truth eventually. I heard lies about Ray when I was a kid, I heard he had severe mental problems (Ray admitted to depression from battling the parasites and poor conditions in the Islands around the United States).

Why is Franz's book so attractive in my eyes? It's because he provides evidence, real life experiences only JWs could understand, and a strong love for his fellow Christians with strong Bible knowledge, his deep desire for a spiritual relationship with Jesus Christ and Jehovah God. Ray does address people who leave for reasons they are not telling their public, disfellowshipings for outrageous sins or sin's against Jehovah or your own body.

So if I was to pick three books of a all-time favorite, I would go with these books. I thought of buying Don Cameron's book but it seems redundant to what Ray's first book addresses and what his second book goes on into great details. Don's book might be a future purchase after I read ISOCF a second time. I hate books that lie (Ray Franz again highlights why he avoided making contact with lying apostates on the TV circuit) and we lose our only chance to catch a audience who might give us one chance, before they decide the Society was right that we are all nothing but a group of hateful people (which is a giant lie) and are truly "mentally diseased". I hope nobody takes this post wrong, I am tired of people lying about our brothers and sisters, whether they are pro or anti-JWs.

1. Crisis Of Conscience Ray Franz

2. "In Search Of Christian Freedom Ray Franz

3. Ray qoutes from this older book, I did not look up the author of it " Combatting Mind Control Cults "

• Healthworker
    Healthworker

ÁrbolesdeArabia

Thanks for your honest thoughts and book reviews!

"Would we post it as a good read to get revenge with the Watchtower Society even though we know it's a lie or call it a heaping pile of pig shit?"

- Agree, those who lie are not any better than the WTS. Some former cult members turn to manipulation, lies and black and white reasoning. They have kept the exclusive mindset, only changed their totalitarian views. It may be a good read though, as an example of how cults can twist people's mind.

"Why is Franz's book so attractive in my eyes? It's because he provides evidence, real life experiences only JWs could understand, and a strong love for his fellow Christians with strong Bible knowledge, his deep desire for a spiritual relationship with Jesus Christ and Jehovah God. Ray does address people who leave for reasons they are not telling their public, disfellowshipings for outrageous sins or sin's against Jehovah or your own body."

- I am totally with you on this. Many dubs never had faith to begin with. Ray is balanced and loving all the way. He gave me some light in a harsh awakening process.

Stay strong!

Love Healthworker

• Black Sheep
  • Healthworker
  • david_10
    david_10

The price for "Crisis Of Conscience" on Amazon is a little on the high side.........from around $100 to nearly $2000!! Worth every penny, in my opinion, but most people won't pay that. Instead, you can go to the Commentary Press website and pay $7.95 for the PDF download. I thought I might point that out for those thinking about getting it. Also, most public libraries can obtain it for free or for a very nominal charge. That's how I first read it. To those thinking about it, just get the book one way or another and read it.

David

• Healthworker
    Healthworker

Thanks, David for your tip on downloading.

I agree that COC is a little expensive on amazon. Still I just got it there for 63 bucks there. I bought "in search for christian freedom" for about 50 bucks on ebay and I think that was included shipping.

After some year in the "electronic" world, I have returned to the physical reality were "real" books are neede in my visable library

Love Healthworker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit