JW Interracial Couples

by Iamallcool 38 Replies latest jw friends

• mercedes_29
    mercedes_29

I kne a few white men who wouldn't marry black women they loved very much because they were afraid that race would be used against them in the "Great Tribulation". That was in the mid 90's. Too bad they let the fear of the GB decide who they would marry.

• jam
    jam

mercedes: so funny. I guess they figured Jehovah was

racist.

• linuxbob
    linuxbob

My wife of 30 years is spanish, and I love it.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Society has changed. My father used to drive us into Greenwich Village so we could stare at interracial couples in the late 1950s. He also pointed out and hooted at beatniks. It was shock to see.

Obama proved it is old news now. I would rather than marry in my class to another race than marry out of my class.

I see interracial couples frequently now --in the exurbs.

You no longer have to go to Greenwich Village or Paris.

When I was young, mixed race children were considered the ugliest imaginable. Now I see them as very attractive. There is no substance. It is all pr and attitude adjustment.

Also, there is no such things are race per se.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

When I lived in the northern suburbs of Minneapolis before moving downtown, I dated a Black Sister from St. Paul. In the city limits, there were several other interracial couples, and it was not frowned upon at all. But, in the far northern suburbs at the hall I went to, I got a few frowns and a little gossip, but still no one was really upset about it to any great deal. The only real problem that I had was with my Mother. She really shocked me with her attitude. She used the excuse of "Think about your children and what kinds of problems they will experience." blah blah blah. I could tell that it was just an excuse so she could voice her disapproval. Jehovah's lovimg people are sometimes not as loving as they outwardly appear.

• TOTH
    TOTH

I have seen a few over the years. A good jw friend is white and married to a very mean black lady about ten years older than him. She was kind of a bitch to him AND to me. Another couple was a hispanic man and black wife. They were great people when I knew them. Yet another couple was a fifty something white lady married to a black man of about 35 years of age. They seemed weird to me and were both kind of aloof.

• Skbj
    Skbj

When I was a JW at the age of 9 my parents had a mixed race couple coming to live with us, he was West African she was Sicilian. He had won a scholarship in architecture at the local university and around where my parents live most people own their own home, esp. during the 80's finding an apartment to rent was really hard. They lived with us for 7 months, I never seen a black man up and close until then, and was great to know about a different culture. I got to eat foods that he brought over from his country like plantain that fascinated me greatly.

I was blessed to have been born in a family that isn't racist with or without the JW teachings, despite coming from a country who IMO is highly racist and struggles to this day in dealing with other nationalities/cultures and skin tone, hell they are even racist between their own people depending if you're from north or south. At one point my mom wanted me to become missionary or something like that to go find me a brother of another race LOL.

I think some people are most comfortable with people of their own culture and race and others are comfortable with whomever they get on with. I also feel that many people, this is in general not just amongst JW give far too much importance to what their family want for them,what they'll think, how they'll react. The first serious relationship I had even if I had already faded, was with a guy who was perfect for my parents but not for me. Taking aside the fact he wasn't JW, he had otherwise all the things my mom told me to look for in a husband, the virtues, the characteristics in his personality etc etc. I fell in love with him because he was the "right guy to take home" rather than the right guy for me.

Resulting in 4 years of hell. So once I finally got rid of him I learnt from the negative experience, to not to care about my family but to care who was right for me.

• princecharmant
    princecharmant

There is no such thing as "inter-racial" marriage, except if/where a human being marries a non-human!

If you are not married to an extra-terrestrial or a four-legged creature or a fish or a bird or a fly or an object, you cannot claim to have an inter-racial marriage.

That is quite simple to work out.

pc

• Skbj
    Skbj

Princecharmant, you put it quite right! I like that. I'd be up for inter-racial as long as it's not a Ferengi or I'd be in perennial trouble lol though I love those little Hobitt like houses they have.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit