Growing old in this system

by teela(2) 17 Replies latest jw friends

• teela(2)
    teela(2)

Meet up wth an old friend of my parents. It was sad, Mable in her 80's husband is 91 and falling apart. Off course to start with it was Armageddon must be soon. I pointed out that the generation time line has since expired( from the 1970,s) and it wasn't the first time the witnesses had got is wrong. But for Mable the fact that Armageddon has not come and not in there lifetime means little as she cleans up after her husband incontinence.

The elderly of the congregation must despair that Armageddon has not come. Relatives/ex friends that have left probably look at then with pity or humor. Time has proved the die hards wrong and they irrelevant to all.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Yes isnt it sad... We were supposed to be young & beautiful after 1975
    I'm in my 85th year. So happy I am free of that garbage beliefs.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I like beliefs that show reverence for the aged.

Japanese Living National Treasures

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Mouthy, you're so inspiring!

• Skbj
    Skbj

@ Teela, it's sad indeed. This is the conversation I'm trying to have with my mom as many time as I can now that her and my dad have entered their 60s and have no savings, for their retirement years. They have it in their head that somehow as their only child I'll maintain them I often am tempted in telling them to ask their congregation for pension money after all the WT is the reason why they ain't got no money makes perfect sense to me.

@mouthy you are a great example for people of ages! And I love your face, you are the same age as my Grams, yet couldn't be more different, you look so happy whilst she's always so miserable which is ironic because with the beliefs they have she should be happy instead...

@ jgnat I love Japanese pottery (andanything else that's Japanese). I have some nice photos of a place I went to in Okinawa that is an organic cafe they make their own pottery to serve bevarages but that one could also buy. Such a great tradition.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I don't know if you noticed, Skpj, but the Living National Treasures are the artists, rather than their work. Does any other nation honor their senior talent similarly?

• mouthy
    mouthy

Coo thanks skjb also JOHNMANNwish I could do it in person both of you

• Heaven
    Heaven

I like beliefs that show reverence for the aged.

jgnat, that is lovely. I am embracing my wrinkles. Not so much my gray hair ... yet.

Mouthy, you are the same age as my Dad. You are doing much better than him.

A few years back I took my Dad to a family JW wedding. They had to let me come as Dad was unable to drive himself that far. My aunt who at the time was in her 70s and having health issues told me that she couldn't believe she grew old. I didn't say anything.

My father told me a couple years back that he did not want to die. I told him I didn't want him to die either but that no one gets out of this life alive. Not even Jesus.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Teela what is so sad is that they hang onto that dream so desperately that they don't get to enjoy this beautiful life they have in the here and now.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

yea and they gave up alot along the way. I was sold on not dying in this system of things. Pretty lame

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit