What strand of Christianity gave birth to WTBTS?

by Band on the Run 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Oh, my mother and reading American history helped me place the antiCatholicism in context. Ultra right wing and fascist Catholic groups formed during the late 1920 and 1930s. Father Coughlin was a good example. Protestants did not stoop to take on Jehovah's Witness. I don't know if Coughlin had ties to the Vatican or whether the VAtican encouraged him. These groups became a major political force, using physical violence and hatred to intimidate honest, decent people who did not share their narrow views.

The Witneses may have started with the religion is a snare and racket business. During the Red Scare and McCarthy era, normal people joined these groups. America was at such a disadvantage concerning China b/c all the Chinese experts in the State Department who saw strands of nationalism in Maoism were fired. Either Coughlin or the church selected the Witnesses to commit vigilante actions.

My mom was in the audience when Couglin's group broke into a convention at Madison Square Garden in NYC. She said that the good Christians breaking many criminal laws, deliberately targetted women and small children with ammonia bombs and heckling. My father was part of the Bethel force fighting them off with canes. She saw the Witness actions as exceptionally good. My guess is that canes were used to get around NY's concealed weapons law.

Because of groups, such as Couglin's, my father and other Witnesses have great trouble finding employment when they left Bethel. My father sepnt too many years at Bethel to cover his employment gap.

I hope that someone with more knowledge of this time period can place the events in larger context. It was not only Couglin. Many Catholic groups violently attacked Witnesses and deprived them of basic common law and constitutional rights. This is why I admire the ACLU, in general.

• TD
    TD

Band,

Have you read Peter's Judging Jehovah's Witnesses: Religious Persecution and the Dawn of the Rights Revolution ?

It's one of the few books on JW's that truly is neutral (IMO) and the subject matter is right up your alley

• Terry
    Terry

I don't see CHRISTADELPHIANS on any of these charts or lists and they are practically kissing cousins to the JW's in many ways.

They havea very well put together discussion group too with smart people and all well-indoctrinated.

Not many members world wide and not an ORGANIZATION to be seen either!

Satisfy your curiousity and prowl around this site! It is fun and non-fattening.

http://www.thechristadelphians.org/forums/index.php?act=idx

Amazing as it seems, the pro-Christadelphians AND the EX-Christadelphians all have a place on the same discussion URL.

• NoStonecutters
    NoStonecutters

Interesting to note that the Rosicrucian power structure started up in England under Queen Elizabeth I and her astrologer John Dee, who laid the foundation for Enochian magic. Dee and Elizabeth represented a puritan-millennialist perversion of Christianity. The Watchtower also happens to be millennialist and uses Enochian magic.

• NoStonecutters
    NoStonecutters

duplicate

• NoStonecutters
    NoStonecutters

duplicate

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit