Watchtower's greatest failure: the absence of IGNORANCE

by Terry 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Larsinger58, thanks for telling us what you know.
    What is it you Don't know?

Terry, I suspect that Larsinger is in that blessed state where he does not know what he does not know. But, then - I don't know.

• Terry
    Terry

I think of knowledge as an orderly arrangement of facts with clear contexts and provisos for itegration with arising circumstances.

I think of ignorance the way I think of a crossword puzzle that isn't filled in because of some troublesome blank spaces and knotty clues.

Sometimes you try to fit into the blanks a guess or two with the obvious provisional caveat that it has to make sense (not only as a feasible answer to the clue, but also as a proper order of letters corresponding with the criss-cross of other filled-in spaces).

Watchtower theology is a series of filled-in blanks that are guesses for their crossword puzzle-bible themed matrix.

This and that seem to fit until the intersection of other KNOWN facts disqualify the guesses.

The Watchtower approach, as it were, is to fill in the blanks with INK in utter confidence with no provision for error until that conclusion is inescapable.

Then, while erasing a whole in the crossword page, they flash a cheesy smile and tell you how eager they were to finish the puzzle.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I was thinking this morning while driving on the freeway that Watchtower theology is a series of filled-in blanks that are guesses for their crossword puzzle
    bible themed matrix. This and that seem to fit until the intersection of other KNOWN facts disqualify the guesses.
    The Watchtower approach, as it were, is to fill in the blanks with INK in utter confidence with no provision for error until that conclusion is inescapable.

Quite so.

A similar thing could be said for a person who has decided that he is the gay, black, new Christ - and proclaimed it publicly.

Rather strange, but not arguably more strange than a religion claiming to be god's sole representative on earth - and which has NEVER gotten a single one of their prophecies to come true.

• perfect1
    perfect1

Not to derail, I do think this is a brilliant point, Terry- but James, imagine how much fun church would be if Jesus was black, gay and new!

I see a disco ball dropping, and glitter spandex! Lets go!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Awesome post Terry. Not admitting when they don't know is a huge mistake for the WTBTS. Great call. I just had a similar conversation with my Dad about the WTBTS. I wish I could have read this first! They are like the guy who has to know everything because to not have an answer is to appear ignorant, in their minds at least. As my Dad says " It is better to remain silent and appear ignorant, than to speak and remove all doubt ". They set a bad precedent at the beginning. They have ALL the answers because God is wispering in their ear. Being judgmental doesn't help their case....

GayblackJesus,

Are you infallible? If not, will you kill me if I doubt you or put in a good word for me because I am a good person? Just curious...

• moshe
    moshe

OK- Harold Camping failed, 2x in 2011, but that doesn't someone else doesn't have the "right" connection to God in heaven. We are waiting for the true warning like the one that God gave to Ninevah. When you get that specific warning for the TIME OF JUDGEMENT FROM GOD IS UPON US, do come back and warn us.

• Terry
    Terry

We are waiting for the true warning like the one that God gave to Ninevah. When you get that specific warning for the TIME OF JUDGEMENT FROM GOD IS UPON US, do come back and warn us.

I've always wondered why the Watchtower doesn't argue blatantly that THEY ALONE are the reason Armageddon continues to "delay" for the same

reason Jehovah did NOT destroy Ninevah: they were warned and they shaped up!

The Society could (erroneously) claim that the number of persons who continue to be saved by joining the JWs are sufficient to get Jehovah to yet delay longer.

This would quietly ignore all the people who might have survived had they NOT joined the ranks and gotten themselves kicked out where the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth are :)

• perfect1
    perfect1

Terry,

Ignorance has a strong negative meaning- while I am in full agreement with you and I am happy you put into words something I have observed, I prefer to think of it more as curiousity.

JWS are totally lacking in natural curiosity towards life, knowledge, how, why. They cant even form the questions, because every one has a thought stopping answer.

• moshe
    moshe

There is an old teacher's saying- "when you start talking, you stop learning", this is the gist of the failures of the GB.

The WT leaders only talk to others, they don't listen, hence they can never learn anything new from outsiders and their knowledge base will never exceed what is already in place. - and as Terry has pointed out, the WT were all too happy to use the ideas of people who aren't true experts. Harold Camping also fell into the same self-fixing trap that Terry has so "expertly" taught us.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

My kids come home with homework, 1 out 4 times I do not know the answer because it was covered in their material and I was not there!

Should I make something up, or tell them that daddy does not know.......... look it up?

Watchtower ALWAYS knows best............... good topic again

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit