Would this lie count as sin?

by Knowsnothing 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Sin's a tired myth that needs to walk out into the darkness and die. The lie in the OP was a good one though. "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Marine General in Afghanistan

• sizemik
    sizemik

By definition a magician "lies" . . . uses deception. And we all get entertained . . . no sin there (unless you're a mind-f**d dubbie).

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    Well, it can be easy to tell one lie and convince yourself that it is for the good of people... then continue on to tell more.

Indeed, a slippery slope.

Plus... the invasion was probable, the claim goes. What if it was not going to happen, and the building of the army spurred it on.

On the other hand, what if nothing was done, and the invasion came? Would you let someone pillage your house?

What if it was not going to happen, and he convinced everyone that it was going to happen, and then instead of defending against an enemy, they invaded?

Wars are messy. Should I stop defending my country just because a friend of mine might be the casualty of friendly fire? Invasion wasn't likely, they only had enough for defence. It took some incredible military tactics to pull of the win they did.

Or something else happened to harm someone innocent, because of that lie?

The same goes for the truth.

He was proven right... or so the story goes... but how many instances of that go the other way? How many will justifiy their own deception (and would have been wrong) from this sort of thing?

Yes, we all attempt to justify when things go wrong.

Athenians: Themistocles, why didn't you build a navy?

Themistocles: You wouldn't give me the resources. You thought the Persian threat was over.

Athenians: Why didn't you try to convince us somehow?

Themistocles: I could've lied, but that would be wrong. Aren't you glad I didn't deceive you, and was moral?

Athenians: Ok, Themistocles. To thank your moral integrity, we will reward you with the privilege of being the first Persian slave!

Themistocles: Morality triumphs again!

You know the saying... oh what a tangled web we weave...?

Complex societies are a tangled mess, but we struggle through it and find a way to survive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit