I have become a return visit!

by pajaha 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• pajaha
    pajaha

Just for background, I DA'd 12 years ago and I'm now an atheist/agnostic.

I normally avoid answering to the JWs (I can usually tell it's them because I hear two sets of incredibly moving footsteps coming up the stairs to my flat) or they do a quick "magazine presentation" and then they're off. On one occasion a few weeks ago I answered and the guy seemed up for a discussion. I said I was an atheist, a lengthy discussion ensued and he "placed" a creation /evolution leaflet with me.

I was expecting a call and, after avoiding them a few times, I finally answered. We went over much the same ground again and today he came back for a third visit.

Most of this time the discussion is on the creation argument. It's tempting to bring up something like 1914 or 607 but that would be a giveaway. I asked him today how long he believed humans had been around. I was surprised that he said 6000 years as I had suspicions the WTS had backtracked on this were keeping the length of the Genesis "day" vague in light of the indisputable scientific evidence. We also got on to the flood and I again said that flies completely in the face of everything science knows.

I said a few times that he needed to look outside of what his literature (and the carefully selected scientific quotes therein) said to look at what science in general thought. Of course, he said they did all the time, which was rubbish - at least they're not looking in the right place. He did close by saying he was going to go away and look at the "secular view" on the flood and the 6000 years.

It's not as if I think I have much chance of planting seeds of doubt in his head, but I guess I find the discussions interesting - although less and less so with each visit. It's interesting to be on the other side of the fence from where I was. Mind you, if I were the pioneer, I'd have given up on me by now!

I guess if I get bored with the discussions, I'll just bring up 607 and I won't see them again.

• cofty
    cofty

I am jealous - I would love to be a return visit.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Hi Pajaha -- and welcome,

I love it when they call. I always get a chance to divulge the fact that I studied with them many years ago. Not a lie -- I simply don't expose the fact that I then became a MS, an elder, developed a bothered conscience that resulted in disfellowshipping.

Their inevitable question -- "Why did you stop studying?" -- is the perfect lead to my introduction to The Great Watchtower Contradiction, an 11 minute read designed for new ones but which poses questions on topics that the most seasoned JW would cringe at.

Contradiction contains a table handout that you can snip for purse or billfold. I always keep my billfold handy.

Len

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

cofty, you could always send in a request for a visit if you really want a jw discussion. No need to be jealous.

• finally awake
    finally awake

It will be a long time before the local dubs forget who I am, so I don't think it's likely they'll even ring my doorbell anytime soon.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I'm still waitin' on brotha Elder who promised to come and explain some things in the Reasoning book

Seen him in the store the other day, and instead of his usual approach, the sucker played a Cut and Run

The Hunter have now become the hunted

I had two sisters come to visit awhile back, I whipped the proclaimers book out like a switch blade

showed 'em Beth-Sarim, those blindsided bitties promised to come back.

It's ashame how the WTS make liars outta folk

Every now and then I'll recieve a Hit and Run. They don't ring my bell

Trust, it's loud. They jus' leave a trac in the door

One day I jus' happen to see 'em pull up. AHA!!!!!!!!!!!................Caught 'em

I don't know why they won't mark me off their list. I won't put up a trespassin' sign

not while I'm havin' fun

I guess they think they'll get me back in, and this time get me dunked so they can really give me hell

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

WASBLIND: I'm still waitin' on brotha Elder who promised to come and explain some things in the Reasoning book

Saw him in the store the other day, and instead of his usual approach, the sucker played a Cut and Run

I had two sisters come to visit awhile back, I whipped the proclaimers book out like a switch blade, showed 'em Beth-Sarim, those blindsided bitties promised to come back.

It's ashame how the WTS make liars outta folk.

WASBLIND, don't ya know that they ain't gonna throw no pearls before swine.

If they return and find out they are unable to refute your arguments then they have to face the fact that they have bought nothing but cheapa$$ costume jewelry for themselves. Much less painful and easier overall to IGNORE THE FACTS. (I did it for years.)

Doc

• wasblind
    wasblind

LOL @ BOC

My daughter jus' ask me to tone it down she's tryna sleep

BOC your a mess

• wasblind
    wasblind

I really shouldn't laugh at somethin' so sad , but I can't help

but remember how critical they are of those who disagree

wit thier lies.

• talesin