Church of England Votes for Status Quo on Misogyny

by cofty 10 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

No not that Status Quo!

The vote to appoint women bishops has been defeated by the house of laity of the General Synod.

So it will only be male bishops wearing silly frocks for at least another 3 years.

BBC News .......

• blondie
    blondie

This is discussing bishops; I understand though that women are appointed priests; priests but not bishops, interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_first_32_women_ordained_as_Church_of_England_priests

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I waited to be confirmed until women priests were legal in the U.S. Classmates attended irregular ordinations. We have a female presiding bishop but, then, we don't have all the weight of tradition.

I know some parishes left when women became priests and a few more when Gene Robinson became the first openly gay bishop but most stayed and changed their tune. Since you have an example in the United States, what is the hesitation? If women are priests now, what is the point about bishops in particular. How does apostolic succession go haywire if the office is held by a woman.

It seems America is the right of so much. Why are we more progressive on this matter?

• cofty
    cofty

Yes the church of England has had women priests for a while now - I don't think they believe in apostolic succession do they?

The question of women bishops and homosexuality threatens to split the church. African Anglicans are very conservative and whatever is decided at Lambeth effects them too.

Interestingly the vote was carried by the Bishops and Priests but defeated by the laity.

Why are we more progressive on this matter?

It has been said that the Church of England is the Conservative Party at prayer.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I saw that a while ago. God forbid the archbishop of canterbury should ever be a woman, eh?

• cofty
    cofty

The pillars of the British establishment would come crashing down apparently.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Nothing earth shattering happened. For this point in time, the C of E is in communion with the Protestant Episcopal Church of the United States. Americans have a message to Africans. You have the votes. Can you live without our money? These same African bishops may be polygamists b/c the C of E granted them an exemption during the colonial period. I tend to recall Jesus words in Matthew concerning divorce.

Will menstruation do something to the Eucharist. Anglicans believe in apostolic succession. The C of E was very Catholic in Henry VIII's time. His son and Elizabeth made it more Puritan. It is one of the differences between the Reformed Churches and the Anglican.

I suspect women bishops will happen.

I was very close to Gene Robinson at a 9/11 service. Perhaps 3 feet away. He was very different in person than the media portrayed him. From all the controversy, I expected a prophetic rabblerouser. He was very sober, nice, and slight. No leaping demons that I saw.

• Nevuela
    Nevuela
    No not what status quo? Is that supposed to be some kind of joke or reference to something? I don't get it. :(
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou
    It means whatever you want it to mean Nevuela.
  • barry
    barry
    The Anglican church in Australia has female bishops and priests. My former church the SDA church is now having problems because some parts of the world will ordain female ministers but more conservative areas such as Africa will not. The general conference of SDAs is more conservative but individual conferences do ordain women and there has been some awkward moments in Australia when one women was ordained with two men and the general conference president officiated. Barry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit