Armageddon Fatigue

by phil the fish filleter 10 Replies latest watchtower medical

• phil the fish filleter
    phil the fish filleter

When I left the cult some years ago the response from the local JW's was venomous. Things have been changing lately, a number of Elders have actually taken the time to engage me in conversation. These tend to be those that were told they would never go to school let alone grow old. They are very dismissive of and struggling with some current policy.

One in particular a former PO when I asked him about Armageddon could only laugh.I was quite saddened really at how beaten down he was looking, I wonder if anyone else is seeing this fatigue setting in.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Yes, I have seen it with the elderly in my family. They absolutely know about the Watchtower's failings. It's Ok for them to initiate that conversation with me,b but if I mention it to them . . "Don't talk about it. I just get depressed." I can't ask for anything more honest.

My ubber JW sibling is actually planning for retirement. That's a first.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I think that sometimes our inner selves know when something doesn't add up but can't always convince our thinky bits!

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

The trouble for me is that all the ones I know are ruled with a rod of iron by the elders and the whole lot are in thrall to the GB/faithful slave nonsense.

Anything less would be turning their back on Jehovah, which, according to them, is what I have done.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

when I asked him about Armageddon could only laugh.

Yes, that is the usual response. I find it to be a nervous giggle - something like if somebody invested a load of money in, say, cans of beans in the conviction that they were going to wildly increase in value - but now they are eating beans for evermore!

They seem to use humour to deal with it . A public speaker used this comment "I used to say that I was marching on into the New World, but now it seems that I am going to get there via The Underground route !! " The whole audience laughed.

I find that in conversations at home the dubs are more openly critical of recent doctrine changes and procedures than I dare to be. Of course, if I join in, I have to tread lightly ...it is O K for them to criticize "The Lord's Anointed" but if an ex dub does so they feel threatened.....

• phil the fish filleter
    phil the fish filleter

Interesting isn't it how this could be having more impact than all of the other massive problems they are confronting. They are being driven into the ground, literally.

• ziddina
    ziddina

And the newer generations are uneasy about the teachings and very insecure about THEIR futures, especially without a college degree...

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

JWS live in a quagmire of their own delusions.

The WTS. feeds them the seeds of delusion of course, then whatever flourishes from individuals is varied within themselves.

JWs keep up the belief for numerous reasons one being to display their own personal spiritual strength before their peers ( fellow brethren).

I'm pioneering this month, I placed 6 magazines and two books this morning and theres a bible study at hand !!!!!

See how spiritually strong I am !

As well to reconfirm that that haven't been malignly deceived/conned by the WTS. Corporation and its possible exploitation of people.

Heaven forbid !

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

This is going to increase, a slow boil under the teapot.

I was too little to remember 75. The promise to me was "before this generation" passes away. That's gone, and the "overlapping generation" fiasco isn't being mentioned that I know of. Where is the end date? The urgency?

You can't run a doomsday cult without having the troops fired up. This "coming soon" bullshit just won't play for everyone.

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

Unfortunately some that I talk with...still feel that even though there are issues...this is still a good way to live your life by... :( ArMaG is coming just don't know when.
    So the POPE GB can be wrong at most every level but they are still willing to put their lives in their hands. One Jw I talked with about this...I get the impression...uses this as a tool - the religion - to control his children.

• Time and the INTERNET (easy verifiable information) is working against them and those like them. It has helped me and many here... so it will continue to help many more.

Sw

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit