Tax-free Religion

by turtleturtle 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• turtleturtle
    turtleturtle

I have never understood why religions consider their tax-free status being taken away an attack on their religious freedom. Religious freedom and tax freedom are two completely different things. If anything, wouldn't removing tax-free status from religion hinder these large corporations from engaging in questionable activity and being allowed a veil to protect individual members?

Consider this recent example:

http://www.wtsp.com/news/article/282987/34/Federal-suit-Scientologist-spent-30-mil-to-cover-death

• Blablaman
  • Blablaman
    Blablaman

The only real way I see fighting this is to prove legally that JW's are not Christian, and as a result is it not a religion.

They never use the word Christendom in a positive context, nor do they when discussing non believers of JW doctrine. They have repeatedly re-written the bible to their own needs-could this possibly be criminal behaviour? Now they have stupidly attemted manipulating the law to their own benefit. I have yet to see one example of their charity funds to benefit the greater public, beyon JW/WT.

I say, give them independence and as a corporation, make them pay tax!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I do not believe that under the rules of the Charity Commission, or in the words of the Act of Parliament, a religion has to be "Christian" to gain Tax Free status and to benefit from Gift Aid etc

But , as with the recent case, still ongoing, concerning the Plymouth Brethren ther is a need to show public benefit. Every JW and XJW knows that no real charity work whatsoever is done by the WT/JW's anywhere in the world.

But, as an Elder said to me, "We would not find it difficult to make it look as though we did charitable works".

Certainly a proper challenge to their Charitable Status here in the U.K does need mounting.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I do not believe that under the rules of the Charity Commission, or in the words of the Act of Parliament, a religion has to be "Christian" to gain Tax Free status and to benefit from Gift Aid etc

But , as with the recent case, still ongoing, concerning the Plymouth Brethren ther is a need to show public benefit. Every JW and XJW knows that no real charity work whatsoever is done by the WT/JW's anywhere in the world.

But, as an Elder said to me, "We would not find it difficult to make it look as though we did charitable works".

Certainly a proper challenge to their Charitable Status here in the U.K does need mounting.

SORRY about the double post, the site seems to be going very slow today, so I clicked again, also Welcome Blabaman ! tell us your story . (?)

• rebel8
    rebel8

I was just thinking about this...again...a few days ago while reading the news that the IRS will be auditing hospitals every 3 years to ensure they meet the regulatory requirement of good works in order to keep their nonprofit status.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit