walking and hiking.

by zeb 13 Replies latest social physical

• zeb
    zeb

I walk a lot for health and I have never met a negative walker.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Whatever your health, walking /hiking are good for you, endorphins are released, so you feel good, and the cardio-vascular system gets a tone up, all pluses !

I have also read that it helps you sleep and also aids the digestive system it just doesn't get the publicity it should, why ? because BigBadPharma makes not a penny out of it, rather it is losing them money in the long run.

I have a neighbour who was at least three stone overweight and was in the early stages of diabetes, by walking a lot he has lost four stone and does not even need tablets for his diabetes !

Several more reasons for us to get off our collective arses and get walking !

• zeb
    zeb

Gee thanks Phizzy,

see a fellow walker all positive!

I also use walking poles (like ski poles) and you use a lot more oxygen using your upper body with the poles than without.

I have also noticed down my years that JW are as a group an unhealthy lot of people.

• talesin
    talesin

I've been a walker all my life, and have the legs/butt to show it. :P

You're right, it lifts the spirits and gets that energy flowing. Also, I've always found it makes me more aware of the beauty and interesting things around me. The past 3 years have been rough, since I can't walk, and I've found my positivity has really gone down the tubes. I'm working on it, though, and hope to be able to walk again by summer.

I love hiking, too. Just being in nature feels right, it's where I am home.

Good post!

tal

• talesin
    talesin

Phizzy

Re the type 2 diabetes, my dad was diagnosed at 40. He is a walker, too, and has never taken a med! I, too, am a type 2, and my sugar levels have never been high except for the time I injured my back and couldn't walk for 4 months.

Up with walking! Down with big Pharma! woo hoo!

tal

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

any excercise is good but i recommend cycling. it is much easier on the hip and knees. also you can burn more calories in a a shorter time.

• talesin
    talesin

*ahem* actually I love cycling, but have 'bad knees' and it's not good to cycle up hills, puts a lot of strain on the old femoral-patella syndrome. So my cycling is done on the flat, but have to walk on hills. Oh, well!

I never do stairs, though (see knees), and steep hills when walking.

t

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I used to be a walker, and I agree it's the best exercise for most people. It's energizing and pleasant. Gives you lots of oxygen, keeps your heart strong, all that stuff. Bad knees now, waiting for Medicare to replace them. Then more walking! I miss it and I live in one of the most beautiful places on earth for walking.

• everchangingworld
    everchangingworld

LOVE hiking too. When I left the org last year and found myself with no friends and not knowing who I was, I signed up for a meetup group that went hiking in the mountains (great group of non-negative folks), and I believe that it did more for my happiness/mental health/physical health than anything else could have at that time.

Unfortunately, I slipped on ice on one of them, and now I get excruciating pain anytime I go downhill. Even with hiking poles.

• cult classic
    cult classic

My absolute favorite thing to do is walk in nature.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit