Petition to help Palestine

by Nambo 21 Replies latest social current

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

Avaazers, it's time to celebrate!

A few minutes ago, the UN voted overwhelmingly to recognise Palestine as the world's 194th state!!! It’s a huge victory for the Palestinian people, for peace, for our community, and people across the world are joining with massive crowds in Palestine to celebrate.

The Palestinian people's journey to freedom is far from over. But this is a powerful step, and our community played a key role in it. Palestine's Ambassador to Europe said today:

"Avaaz and its members across the world have played a crucial role in persuading governments to support the Palestinian people's bid for a state and for freedom and peace. They have stood with us throughout and their solidarity and support will be remembered and cherished across Palestine." - Leila Shahid, General Palestinian Delegate to Europe

Brussels Action: While EU leaders were met, THIS was happening right outside their windows
    Madrid Action: Avaaz members want Spain PM Rajoy to say YES!

The US and Israeli governments, beholden to extreme lobby groups (yes, sadly even Obama has given in), threw everything they had at crushing this vote, using financial threats and even threatening to overthrow the Palestinian President if he went ahead. Europe was the key swing vote, and under intense US pressure, leaders were, just two weeks ago, leaning towards not supporting the Palestinian state. Knowing the stakes, our community responded with the speed and democratic force that we needed to win:

• Nearly 1.8 million of us signed the petition calling for statehood.

• Thousands of us donated to fund public opinion polls across Europe -- showing that a whopping 79% of Europeans supported a Palestinian state. Our polls were plastered all over the media, and repeatedly cited in Parliamentary debates in the UK, Spain and France!

• We sent tens of thousands of emails, Facebook messages and Tweets to leaders across Europe and made thousands of calls to foreign ministries and heads of state.

• We unfurled a giant 4-storey banner outside the EU Commission in Brussels (right) while leaders were meeting inside. Then, we staged another stunt in Madrid. Previously, we had sailed a flotilla of ships past the UN calling for a vote. Our actions made headlines all over Europe.

• Avaaz staff and members met with dozens and dozens of government ministers, top advisors, senior journalists, parliamentarians and thought leaders in each of the key countries, in many cases teaming up to win over leaders one by one through advocacy, pressure, parliamentary resolutions and public statements, always drawing on the surge in people power behind this cause.

• We reached out to key thought leaders like Stéphane Hessel, a 94-year old survivor of Nazi concentration camps, and Ron Pundak, an Israeli who played a key role in Oslo peace process, to speak out in favour of statehood.

One by one, key European states broke with the US to answer the call of justice and their peoples. In the final vote tally we got just now, only 9 countries out of 193 have voted against! France, Spain, Italy, Sweden and most of Europe has voted for Palestine.

The US and Israel argued first that statehood was dangerous for peace, and then, when they'd lost, that it didn't matter and the vote was just symbolic. But if it were just symbolic they wouldn't have done everything to try and stop it. And after years of bad-faith negotiations and Israeli comfort with the status quo as they steadily colonize more Palestinian land, this move shows the US and Israel that if they do not engage in good faith, the Palestinians and the world are prepared to move forward without them . It's a more balanced basis for real peace talks. And that's the best alternative to the kind of violence we saw Israel's government and Hamas offer in Gaza this month.

For decades the Palestinian people have suffered under a stifling Israeli military dictatorship, repressive controls on their travel and work, continual denial of their rights and the constant threat of insecurity and violence. 65 years ago today, the UN recognized the state of Israel, beginning a path to the establishment of a safe home for the Jewish people. Today the Palestinians take a step down the same path, and gain a dignity in the eyes of the international community that they have been denied for a generation. And from that dignity, we can build the foundations of peace.

With hope and joy,

PS Here are some sources - The Associated Press covers today's victory, the Guardian covers our polling two weeks ago, Avaaz's Daily Briefing provides a map of the vote result, and Haaretz describes Israel's response.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

The United Nations has no authority to grant statehood to anyone, particularly states that have no land, no armies, no constitutions and no governments. The Lord gave the land now occupied by Israel to Judah. He dispossessed the Jews of the land in 76 A.D. when the Romans took it from them and dispersed them all over the world. But when Jacob blessed his twelve sons, he specifically gave the land now known as Israel to Judah until the coming of Shiloh, or the Messiah. Under the influence of the Spirit of God, he stated: “ The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be. ” (Genesis 49:10) When the Messiah came, the scepter departed from Judah and his seed was scattered to the four corners of the earth. But Jacob added that “unto [Judah] shall the gathering of his people be.”

What gathering? Isaiah wrote: “ And it shall come to pass in that day, that the Lord shall set his hand again the second time to recover the remnant of his people, which shall be left, from Assyria, and from Egypt, and from Pathros, and from Cush, and from Elam, and from Shinar, and from Hamath, and from the islands of the sea. And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.” (Isaiah 11:11-12)

Even though the birthright was given to Joseph, it was Judah’s seed who were to inherit the land the Lord gave Jacob by the hand of Moses. Nothing is said of Esau’s seed being established in the land. But Ezekiel, Zechariah and the apostle John state that the nations “round about” Jerusalem would seek to destroy Judah in the latter days, and they prophesy that they would be associated with Satan, not God. (See Ezek. 38-39; Zech. 12-14 and Rev. 11)

Does this mean that Judah and the state of Israel will be the righteous, while the surrounding nations be evil? No, the indications are that although Israel’s enemies are the Antichrist, John referred to the city of Jerusalem as that “which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt.” In other words, Judah will be in an apostate state and in many ways will be as wicked as its neighbors. Eventually the gentile states surrounding Israel will ally themselves with a vast northern power, and it will come down upon Jerusalem with the intention of destroying it.

“ And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people,” saith the Lord. “All that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it. (Zech. 12:3)

If the Palestinians get a nation, where will the land come from? It can’t come from Israel, which is too small. And if it was established, what would keep the new Palestinian state from lobbing missiles over into Israel and its cities? When Israel first decided to foolishly hand over Gaza to the Palestinians, I knew they were going to attack Israel consistently; and I think Israeli leaders knew it too. But they were under tremendous political pressure, despite its foolishness.

Jerusalem will not be divided, nor will they cede the holy parts over to the Palestinians. In fact, before the second coming of Christ, the Jews must rebuild their temple on the site of the ancient temple. So as for me, I’m not signing anything that would oppose the plan God has for His people, despite their sins and rejection of their Messiah.

And I would urge others to do the same.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Cold Steel, I agree with you 100%.

I’m not signing anything that would oppose the plan God has for His people, despite their sins and rejection of their Messiah...

Genesis 12:2-3

I will make you into a great nation,

I will bless you,

I will make your name great,

and you will be a blessing.

I will bless those who bless you,

I will curse those who treat you with contempt,

and all the peoples on earth

will be blessed through you.

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

The United Nations has no authority to grant statehood to anyone,
    65 years ago today, the UN recognized the state of Israel, beginning a path to the establishment of a safe home for the Jewish people. Today the Palestinians take a step down the same path, and gain a dignity in the eyes of the international community that they have been denied for a generation. And from that dignity, we can build the foundations of peace.

The Lord gave the land now occupied by Israel to Judah.
    Galatians 3:27-29

New International Version (NIV)

27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Matthew 23:37-38

37 “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings,and you were not willing. 38 Look, your house is left to you desolate

Matthew 21:42

42 Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the Scriptures:

“‘The stone the builders rejected
    has become the cornerstone;
    the Lord has done this,
    and it is marvelous in our eyes’ [ a ] ?

43 “Therefore I tell you that the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people who will produce its fruit.

Footnotes:
    1. Matthew 21:42 Psalm 118:22,23, Matthew 21:43
  • Berengaria
    Berengaria

blindnomore, bravo

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

The question is not Palestinian state or no Palestinian state, the question is that there is a people that has been robbed of their land, as well as all their rights in 1947 while the world chose to look the other side.

To say that the land belongs to Israel because God gave it to them is an insult to God and intelligence. If He gave them the land, He also drove them out 2000 years ago. The means by which they returned can not be supported by any decent person, namely terrorism, extortion and false flag crimes. http://www.ifamericansknew.org/history/origin.html

The promises in the Bible about Israel are referring to Spiritual Israel, the new nation of God after they rejected the Messiah.

Jews lived in Muslim countries like the Ottoman Empire for centuries without being persecuted, and they still do as well as Christians in Iran nowadays. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BImH8d84Vo

All the propaganda in the world can not change the fact that Israel is committing crimes against humanity and sooner or later they will have to account for them. These images are very disturbing, if you have the stomach have a look at the real Israel. Who is the terrorist? http://occupiedpalestine.wordpress.com/2010/11/16/the-new-abu-ghraib/

• Nambo
    Nambo

And further to the above Post, how much of present day Israel did God give to the Jews?, it was originaly shared out amongst the 12 tribes, not just one, and furthermore, whilst these Russian Jewish converts might like to claim "God gave them the land", there is a scripture that specifically commands that no tribe of the 12 should ever take any land from the other tribes areas.

Be interesting to see if this new Palestine State is based on the legal UN plan of 1947, or if the Israelis will still be able to keep the additional and illegal land and settlements they have stolen and ethnically cleansed since?

• vanyell
    vanyell

@Nambo Ethnically cleansed??? ... You must be an ostrich burying your head in the sand ... The people living in West Bank and Gaza are NOT an ethnic group. Recorded modern history have shown that the Arab nations HAVE NOT renounced their promise to eradicate Israel from the face of the earth. There is no Palestinian state in existence before or after WWII. It is only a figment of imagination, a tool to be used by the surrounding Arab nations as proxy to continue their black war against Israel. Have you ever wondered how the alleged acts of violence have been captured on video or camera just as they are happening or after happening??? Do a google for staged palestinian photos.

• Nambo
    Nambo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGBoGKPZlQE

Your having a laugh arent you?, or maybe you get paid by Israel to spread thier deceipt so they can continue to exterminate a people whom they call Amalekites.

I suppose all those pictures in the above You Tube compilation of Palestine before the Zionists came are just figments of imagination?, that the rest of the world was inhabited by peoples but the land of Palestine was just empty, kept by God for when the Jews come back?, yeah right, I think the "recorded modern history" youve been reading was writen by Zionists.

If that land was empty as you and the Zionists like to claim, why didnt the United Nations give them all of that "empty land"?, why did the UN divide the land 50/50 between the Jews and the peoples you claim where not even there?, perhaps they were a figment of the United Nations imagination as well?

Its people like you who are responsible for Israel in this modern age, being allowed to continue commiting attrocieties.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Good for you, Nambo.

In Britain, the majority of people are very sympathetic to Palestine...72% in a recent poll.

I signed the petition as soon as Avaaz sent me the email. Well done for publicising this! Although I think, given the American majority on this board, that here you are speaking to a distinct minority.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit