Remembering Our Dear Richard Rawe

by Dogpatch 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Richard M. Rawe was born May 10, 1934. He died in his sleep a little before midnight, October 26, 1012, in Soap Lake, Washington. His death was caused by probable acute myocardial infarction and cardiovascular disease.

In 1995, Richard had a major stroke that left him with damage to his vocal cords. Previous to the stroke he had a beautiful speaking voice and was much in demand as a speaker in Kingdom Halls in the Northwest when he was a Jehovah’s Witness prior to 1975. In his later years, Richard was the host with the raspy, croaky voice of the Dialogue telephone conference-line program which hundreds of people listened to twice a month on Saturday evening.

Up until his death, Richard was an attractive, partially balding, gray-haired man, still tall and elegant in appearance, who carried himself with class and dignity no matter how bad he physically felt. As someone recently said, when Richard walked into a room, he had presence.

Listening to him on the phone, one would never get that impression because due to his damaged vocal cords, the picture most listeners had of Richard, unless you personally knew him, was that of someone totally opposite of what he really looked like.

When the elder arrangement came into existence in 1972, Richard, as congregation servant and a regular pioneer for some twenty years, refused to recommend any man in the Ephrata Washington Congregation as elders, including himself, stating that the nobody in the congregation filled the requirements for elder as set forth by the then Governing Body.

He was of the firm conviction that the men in the congregation were committing sinful acts that did not allow for them to be appointed as elders. Consequently, these men, who believed that they should be appointed elders, began to work secretly behind Richard’s back spreading slanderous rumors about him. Read Richard’s exciting story of how he came to be disfellowhipped twice, the first time in September 1975. http://www.xjw.com/rawe-df.html

In the years following his disfellowshipping, Richard devoted his time to his livelihood as well as more time to study the Bible and the history of the Watch Tower organization and of early Christian history. Richard, as well as others such as James Penton, Ray Franz, and Alan Feuerbacher promoted Bible study conferences where lectures about the Bible and religion were held. He also was actively working with other former JWs to do everything in their power to inform the public through the courts or the media of the unfair and sometime devious activity of the religion that at one time all of them would have given their life for.

Richard was very proud of the fact that he had over 1,000 newspaper and magazine articles in his huge library archive from across the United States and the United Kingdom that discussed Jehovah’s Witnesses organization negatively, which he in someway was involved with getting the message out about the harmful practices of the Watch Tower, Jehovah’s Witnesses legal arm.

It was Richard who contacted Richard Ostling, then a reporter for the Time Magazine, to talk to him about Fred Franz being appointed as the new president of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania. Subsequently, that article appeared in Time. Also, Richard Rawe and a number of other former JWs showed up in front of Bethel in Brooklyn, NY, in the late 1980s participating in a march against the Watch Tower’s disfellowshipping and shunning practices. Richard Ostling wrote about that event and the story appeared in TimeMagazine too.

In 2001, when Richard found out about former Bethelite and XJW, Barbara Anderson, and others appearing on the Dateline news program to help expose the Watch Tower’s cover-up of child abuse, he jumped in and began to contact newspapers about the story. By then, Richard Ostling was the Associated Press Religion editor. Many stories revealing the Watch Tower’s true unloving and devious self that were carried by the Associated Press were due to Richard’s persistence.

Richard Rawe also knew one of the top producers at the Dateline organization who at one time was working for the 60 Minutes program some twenty years before 2001.

It was Richard that contacted Christianity Today and was directly responsible for their coverage of the Watch Tower’s child abuse problem in the February 2, 2001 Christianity Today magazine. He also contacted Peter Smith, Religion Editor for the Louisville Courier Journal in Kentucky who did a huge front-page story on February 4, 2001 on the same topic.

In his later years, Richard’s health declined precipitously, his eyesight diminished, yet he wouldn’t give up. As many as three times a week Richard called his research buddy, Barbara Anderson, to tell her what he was doing to get his message out to sincere and unsuspecting people who were searching for religious truth and maybe contemplating converting to Jehovah’s Witnesses. In no uncertain terms, Richard Rawe made it his life’s work to inform the public to beware of the Watch Tower because it’s not a harmless religion but could wreck their lives! He’d point out how easy it was to convert into the religion, but impossible to get out of without finding your life in ruins.

For two years Richard hosted his Dialogue program which he loved. Up until three weeks before he died, Richard was busy calling people arranging with them to tell their interesting stories on his Dialogue Conference Line about their experiences with the Watch Tower organization.

We all owe Richard a debt of gratitude for his bulldog-like persistence to tell the world to beware of the Watch Tower religion because Watch Tower’s leaders, past and present, might sound and look like sheep, but in reality these men were and are wolves that have brought harm to hundreds of thousands of individuals and families in the past 133 years of the religion’s history.

Richard is sorely missed. He certainly left his mark on the lives of thousands and it is doubtful that there will ever be another person to come our way again like Richard M. Rawe.

anonymous, submitted by Randall Watters, who says,

Richard was one of the most helpful and devoted persons to helping others be set free, and exposing the abuses within the Watchtower organization. He would call me about 3 times a year with good news updates, and was active on many sites and discussion boards, We love you Richard! - Randy

www.freeminds.org

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

That is certainly a fitting tribute.

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Thank you for posting this Randy. We can be grateful to all those that once finding out TTATT didn't just fade into the woodwork, but courageously spoke out and were so pro-active in helping to expose the WT. for what it really is. Those of us who have experienced what it's like to lose friends and family over this so-called religion's disfellowshipping/shunning policies are trying to accept the torch that has been passed on to us. In turn may we help as many as possible to never get mixed up with the cult, or aid others to get out. Leslie

• Poztate
    Poztate

Thanks for the information about his life and efforts to shed light on the cult beliefs of JW's

• binadub
    binadub

Thanks for posting this, Randy.
    Richard and I were JWs in the same circuit in Washington. I must have met him at circuit assemblies, but I never got to know him until we were both exJWs in the early 1980s.

He was one of the most devout exJWs I have ever met, relentless. It was a pleasure to know him and he will be missed by everyone who knew him. Many of us met in person at his Northwest Conferences.

Thanks again,

~Binadub (Ros)

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I wasn't aware that he'd died.

Thanks for the update, Randy.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

wow. never knew him, wish I did.

• alamb
    alamb

Thanks Randy. I spoke to him on the phone a few times. He left quite an impression on me as to being fearless, sincere, and relentless.

• minimus
    minimus

Thank you for this thread, Randy'

• life is to short
    life is to short

Thanks Randy for posting this.

I never met Richard but I talked to him many, many times on the phone. He tried to help me get the fact that my hall was sending pedophiles door to door on our local news. I truly wish it had worked out but it was not due to Richard not trying. Richard did everything he could to help me.

He will be greatly missed for all of his very hard work and it truly is sad that he is gone.

LITS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit