One simple fact about Jesus that MATTERS . .

by nicolaou 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

cofty, "I'm not convinced he even existed."

Religions like Christianity don't spontaneously create themselves but are started by a charismatic figure who forms a nucleus for a new movement. Then when the leader dies his followers shape the religion into whatever form they want even deifying their founder.

Why should Christianity be any different than Islam started by Mohammed or Zoroastrianism started by Zarathustra?

• cofty
    cofty

V.I. - Have you listened to Richard Carrier discussing his ideas about how a spiritual Christ of Paul later became the historical Jesus of the gospels? It is worthy of further attention.

Paul's letters preceded all other written records about JC. He shows absolutely no interest in any historical data about him at all.

I plan to get a copy of his latest book when I have more time to read it carefully.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    I'm not convinced he even existed. - Cofty

It's interesting that you've come around to this idea, you used to think there must be at least some historical basis for JC. Not that there is anything wrong with changing one's mind. I must say I have doubted for a while that he ever existed too.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    cofty, Paul was a self-convert who probably was having an epileptic seizure when he fell off his horse and heard 'Jesus' voice. His concept of Jesus was a different one than that of other Christians. He probably couldn't care less about Jesus' historicity and ignored whatever written materials ("Q"?) or oral traditions preceded the Gospels during and before his writing of the epistles.
  • cofty
    cofty
    Xanthippe & VI - I am undecided at the moment. I have always dismissed the notion that Jesus was invented from whole cloth. I found Bart Ehrman's thoughts on this topic to be compelling. I still find most mythological origin theories unconvincing and contrived but Richard Carrier's new study has caught my attention.

I'm sure it will be a year or so before I can say more. It definitely deserves more investigation.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

According to the biblical account, Joseph was in NO way related to Jesus, he was in no way genetically related to Joseph.

it was Mary and God remember...... Without consent too.....

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

"One simple fact"

There is an old Portuguese saying: "Before putting head on chopping block, be sure to have a hammer and a ruler in your pocket. First, hit rock with hammer, then use your ruler-if you know."

• Viviane
    Viviane
    There is an old Portuguese saying: "Before putting head on chopping block, be sure to have a hammer and a ruler in your pocket. First, hit rock with hammer, then use your ruler-if you know."

Do you ever try to make sense?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    The degree of your Hi school diploma is obvious.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Fisherman, no disrespect but your Portuguese saying is incomprehensible. Perhaps English is your second language so please explain what it means.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit